to-do lists and musings on book magic.

| Monday, September 28, 2009
Yeesh. Start a blog with the intention of actually writing every once in a while; find that you never write in it. Man. Which brings me to the creation of a to-do list (hooray!).

To Do:

1.) Write in blog
2.) Bang out some poems for the month of October
3.) Start fleshing out idea for NaNoWriMo
4.) Continue fleshing out back-burner book idea, or scrap it if it's not working
5.) Quit being obsessed with wanting every word from my mouth or fingers to be quippy, clever and deep
6.) Write. Write and write. And write.
7.) Record more dreams and fleeting thoughts in notebook
8.) Seriously, write in blog

Now on to the musings portion of this episode.

I just finished Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson, which is a novel that's been on my mental "to read" list for a long, long time. Couldn't put it down, and read it all in one day. That hasn't happened in a while. It spoke to me on a deep, just-below-the-surface level. The language was straightforward, the narrator was anygirl, and the storyline was easy to follow. And I could not stop reading.

Anderson captured the inner monologue of her character so perfectly, and made empathy so easy. I was there, behind her eyes. It could have been me. This was one of those rare books that left me completely absorbed and moved when I was through. The sort that makes the world seem clearer and mistier at the same time; pregnant with meaning you can find in every mundane little thing. You see a sign that says "Drive With Care," and your mind buzzes around the words and views them in an entirely new light. Emotions well inside you, and everything seems a little more right, or a little more wrong, or a little more something. All because of ink on a page.

I want to write like this. I want my ink on a page to make other people feel this way. How does one figure out how to do that?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. You're so pretty. I like your hair. Let's be friends.

 

Copyright © 2010 maybe genius