jabbering about books.

| Monday, December 28, 2009
Weirdest thing... I get into my car today with the intent of picking up foodstuffs for my lunch break, and Reel Big Fish is playing on the radio. 1.) I work in a podunk country-lovin' town and I could swear no one here listens to RBF, 2.) it's a non-station that fades in and out depending on where I am in town, and 3.) LOL Reel Big Fish, I haven't heard you since the 90's, whut. Why oh why did third-wave ska have to die. If only it had been followed by The Aquabats, my day would have been complete. Seriously, I actually checked the FM transmitter on my iPod to make sure I hadn't left it turned on by mistake. Nope.

I hope everyone had a lovely holiday. I sure did, though coming back to several inches of snow on a 17-degree blustery night was rough after spending several days with palm trees and Killer Crab Claws in California.

I have yet to get back into my writing routine (New Year's Resolution: KNOCK IT OFF WITH THE SLACKING), but I have been reading quite a bit, which has been awesomesauce. I've been inhaling all the books I've been meaning to read for the past few years, and even picking up a few new ones. Most recently...

Leviathan, Scott Westerfield - Fun fun fun. Yay alternate history steampunk with giant whale ships (literally, ships that are whales) and crazy gadgets. Plus a pair of rad female characters that are each awesome and kick-ass in their own way without being all OMGLOL STEREOTYPES ARE HILARIOUS. I approve. The male characters were win on many levels as well, of course, but seriously Deryn/Dylan makes me super happy. Plus I am a total geek for sci-fi alternate history, so.

Candor
, Pam Bachorz - I enjoyed it. A believable male protagonist, an anti-utopia, rebelling against THE MAN (who also happens to be your dad), mind controlling music, and graffiti. I look forward to more by Ms. Bachorz.

If I Stay, Gayle Foreman - Holy crap, this book. Emotional rollercoaster central, right from the get-go. It's short, but packs such a punch. It takes a special kind of talent to make people care so deeply about characters in so little space.

The Hunger Games
& Catching Fire, Suzanne Collins - Really interesting premise in these. The protagonist has a voice that I really liked, though at times she can be really stand-offish and calculating. It comes off to me as a self-preservation thing (she can't care too much or it will tear her apart), but I know some readers view her as cold. I have a thing for dystopian/anti-utopian/alternate world novels, so I knew these were a good bet. The first was very action-packed and visceral, but I was less blown away by the second. A lot of the second book felt like I'd already done it before. It was still enjoyable, but admittedly I felt a little cheated. Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to the next.

Wings, Aprilynne Pike - I will admit that I went into this one with some trepidation. Not sure why, but something put me off and made me think I wouldn't like it , but I ended up finding it pretty enjoyable. I liked her twist on faeries. The plot moved a little slowly for my liking, but it didn't drag too much, and the characters were pretty likable. Though I'm wary of the set-up for a love triangle, but we'll see how that goes.

Wicked Lovely, Melissa Marr - Another that I was skeptical of but ended up liking okay. Maybe I'm just biased against faerie stories? I don't know. I am a sucker for tattoos, though. I really liked the theme of choice throughout the novel, because if there's one thing that does a story in for me, it's that pre-destined "we're just meant to beeeee" crap. Haaaaate. But Marr didn't go that way, and I give her massive credit for it.

The Book Thief, Markus Zusak - This one has (obviously) been receiving accolades for a while, and I've been intending to read it for a long time. I'm 2/3 of the way through, and I can already tell that this is one that will stay with me. Zusak's prose is incredible - every passage is deliberate, every metaphor rich. The characters are real and rough and so very human. The narration is gripping. Everything totally wows me. This one is a must-read for every lover of literature.

Whew. I think I'll wrap up here for tonight :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. You're so pretty. I like your hair. Let's be friends.

 

Copyright © 2010 maybe genius