blargh, i say.

| Sunday, January 31, 2010
Today's Tune: Frozen

What is it about procrastination that's so appealing?

I've been remaining more or less stagnant with my current WIP for a number of reasons, but the main one is, of course, laziness. Writing is work. I absolutely enjoy it, but it's HARD. Which, duh, right? It's so much easier to procrastinate and write low-pressure blog entries and forum posts than buckle down and try to make this story work.

I do happen to be a little stuck in my plot right now, but that's really no excuse. I know where I want to go, I'm just not quite sure how to get there. Doesn't change the fact that I need to GET there, though. I did rework my beginning today, but now I need to work on the end. Which will be the easy part, since I already know how it's ending, but I need to hammer out this last bit of middle first.

If I'm honest, I'd have to say that I'm also afraid of failure, of course. I'm afraid this story is going to be finished, and it's going to be wretched. I don't mean "the first draft always sucks" wretched, I mean "why did I even think this was a cool or interesting idea in the first place" wretched. Ah, the self-esteem of the writer.

As always, I just need to get over it.

Why do you procrastinate?

2 comments:

{ KarenG } at: January 31, 2010 at 2:38 PM said...

I could have written this post a week ago. Oh wait, I think I did. And I was procrastinating for the very same reasons you mention. Plotting issues, not sure it's worth it, it's hard and blogging which is also a form of writing for readership is so dang easy in comparison. Add a few others that have stopped me in the past--no one will publish it anyway, and if they do no one will read it and if they do, no one will like it.

Yep, pretty much a cycle of negativity and laziness. That's why I procrastinate! Now aren't you sorry you asked lol?

{ Kate } at: February 1, 2010 at 9:05 PM said...

I have the laziness problem, but not so much the negativity. I just remind myself that even if my WIP is crap and will never be published, it isn't a waste of time. I have to learn the craft somehow. If it would be a waste if it were easy.

Post a Comment

Hi. You're so pretty. I like your hair. Let's be friends.

 

Copyright © 2010 maybe genius