this place has no atmosphere.

| Thursday, January 7, 2010
I've been thinking about the books I really liked as a teen, and out of nowhere, I remembered this one. I don't hear much about it, but I thought this book was great. Quirky, a touch of sci-fi, angsty without being All Angst All The Time, and all that good stuff. Plus, I LOL at the title.

The premise of this book is a young teenage girl who has tonsofriends and a blossoming new romance - everything's going right in her life. Until her parents decide to move her away from everything she knows and loves, the jerks. Not only are they moving, they're moving TO THE MOON. THE MOON!

So, typical "teen gets uprooted from her comfortable life and moved to a new place which she hates at first but eventually makes new friends and it grows on her" type story, but with a totally out-there element thrown in. You think it's bad to move from one coast to the other? TRY ANOTHER PLANET. Well, satellite.

This book is an inspiration to me. Danziger took a done-to-death plot and added just the right touch of uniqueness to make it different, all while managing to maintain the feel of teendom. Aurora lives in a futuristic society, she gets to live on the moon, and yet she's still suffering all the same doubts and sorrows of a teenager being torn away from the life she knows.

1 comments:

{ strugglingwriter } at: January 8, 2010 at 5:19 PM said...

That sounds like a really cool book. Love the title and the cover art.

I followed you here from the Clarity of Night contest site. Thanks for the nice comment you left on my entry. Mine was #7.

Paul

Post a Comment

Hi. You're so pretty. I like your hair. Let's be friends.

 

Copyright © 2010 maybe genius