brian hearts melissa.

| Tuesday, March 16, 2010
Today's Tune: I Think I Love You

So, as I mentioned yesterday, I originally thought the "PG Love Scene" challenge meant a cutesy middle-grade first kiss sort of scene, so that's what I started writing. I scrapped it when I realized what I was *really* supposed to write about, but I liked the scene so much that I finished it. It's a little on the long side, but here it is :D

I haven't had time to go through and give it a proper proofing, so bear with me if there are any errors!

***

Today’s the day.

My hands are so slippery with sweat by the time I get to U.S. History that I’m positive I’m going to drop the CD case I’m holding. I’m the second one into the classroom after the period bell. Most of the other kids like to act like dorks out in the hallway until the last possible minute, but there’s one girl sitting in the corner. She’s reading something with a purple cover and not paying attention to me. Good.

I drop my backpack and practically sprint to Melissa’s desk. It’s empty, of course, but I can almost see her sitting there with her perfect curly hair and her amazing green eyes. She’s laughing at a joke I told, and her dimples are the best thing in the world.

Come ON, Brian. Focus! Stick to the plan, remember?

The shared history book is in its usual spot in the basket beneath her chair. I yank it out, open the front cover, and slip the slim jewel case inside. It’s a mix CD full of the greats – “My Girl” by The Temptations, “All You Need is Love” by The Beatles, “I Think I Love You” by David Cassidy. Classics I know will make Melissa smile.

I’ve just managed to get the book back under her desk when other students start trickling in. My heart is beating somewhere up around my tonsils as I walk back to my desk. Then she walks by. She smells like Mom’s daisies and her dress is my favorite shade of green and I can’t breathe. How am I supposed to get through 55 minutes of this?

It seems to take her forever to finally reach down for her textbook, even though Mr. Perkins has been droning about Thomas Jefferson since the bell rang. When she pulls out the CD, I feel like I might die. I can’t see her face, but I can see her sneak the CD into her bag where she fumbles around for her portable player. She pulls the bag closer and brings an ear bud to her ear.

The minutes fall off of the clock like pebbles, each one rattling in my skull. I keep from going crazy by watching Melissa’s flip-flop bounce to the beat of the music. Her toenails are blue today.

At last the bell shrills, cutting off Mr. Perkins in the middle of his lecture. He yells something about reading chapter nine over the shuffle of everyone picking up for the next class. I don’t move. I’m pretty sure I’d fall over if I stood up.

Oh man. Melissa’s staying behind. She’s walking up the aisle with the CD in her hand. She’s smiling and I swear if I open my mouth my heart’s going to fall out. I stare at my hands. Anywhere but her.

“Brian?”

This is it. My mind is blank, but I can’t ignore her, so I look up and…

She’s not looking at me. She’s looking at a desk behind me.

Oh no. Oh no no no. Not him.

“Brian? Did you make this for me?”

And then I hear him. Brian Rogers. That sleaze. “Uh, why? Did you like it?” I can almost hear him flip his stupid skater shag out of his eyes.

She gives him the smile. The smile that was meant for me. “It’s so sweet! Thank you!”

“No problem. I knew you’d, you know, enjoy it.”

“Do you… want to walk to our next class together?” Melissa blushes a pretty rosy pink. I’m sure my face is a nice shade of green.

“Totally,” he says, and I wish my legs and vocal chords would work so I could stand up and deck him and yell “YOU LYING SACK!” But I’m still paralyzed.

And then they’re gone, and I’m still stuck here with Mr. Perkins while my dream girl goes with the biggest sleazemo in our class. How could I just sit here and not say anything? What is wrong with –

“Brian?”

I jump at the sound of my own name. It’s the girl from before class. The one who was reading the purple book. She’s got a coffee-brown bob of hair and a little gap between her front teeth. I think her name is Kim.

“Oh. Hey.”

Kim chews her thumbnail and thinks a minute. Then she says, “I saw you. You know, before. I know you’re the one who gave Mel that CD.”

“Yeah, well. I guess when she saw ‘From Brian,’ I wasn’t the Brian she thought of.” And boy, does that make me feel like crap.

Her cheeks turn the exact same color Melissa’s did and she keeps bunching and loosening her fists. She looks kind of like how I feel, actually.

“You would have been the Brian I thought of.” She says it very softly, so that I don’t register her words right away.

Before I can react, she glances over at Mr. Perkins, who’s bent behind his desk, and leans in to press her lips firmly against mine. A jolt goes straight through my brain. When she stands up again, her eyes are wide and scared.

“OkaywellIguessI’llseeyoulaterbye,” she says in one breath before bolting for the door.

A billion thoughts are going through my head right now, but only one sticks out: Man, that was a way better idea than a mix CD.

I grab my bag and run after her.

“Kim, wait up!”

3 comments:

{ fairyhedgehog } at: March 16, 2010 at 9:14 AM said...

I love it!

{ J Adamthwaite } at: March 16, 2010 at 10:07 AM said...

Me too! This is great - I love the minutes falling off the clock like pebbles.

{ Shelley Sly } at: March 16, 2010 at 5:17 PM said...

Awww this is so sweet!!

Post a Comment

Hi. You're so pretty. I like your hair. Let's be friends.

 

Copyright © 2010 maybe genius