what YA means to me.

| Wednesday, March 24, 2010
Today's Tune: Everything Is Alright

I received a few memes awards from Christi at A Torch in the Tempest and Lindsey at Dangerous With a Pen (thank you ladies!) that I’ll be posting on Friday since I already had a post planned for today. So keep an eye out for my one-truth-six-lies :)

Today, I’d like to talk about what YA means to me.

I have always been drawn to middle grade and YA lit, and luckily I was born at a time when it’s always been around for me. I devoured anything by Madeline L’Engle, Tamora Pierce, Philip Pullman, Bruce Coville, Christopher Pike, and of course, J.K. Rowling. Many of my favorite books by these authors came out when I was in jr. high and high school. I liked “adult” literature as well (George Orwell and Kurt Vonnegut come to mind), but YA and MG held a special place for me. I couldn’t stop reading them, even after I’d read them several times, or I was “too old” for a certain novel.

My MG and YA reading choices greatly shaped my current literary preferences, as well as what I choose to write. As a preteen and teenager, I loved fantasy, adventure, sci-fi, mystery, slow-boil love stories as a subplot… I still love these stories. And now I write them, as well.

This is what draws me to YA – these are stories that, if done right, stick with a person for a lifetime and may have a hand in shaping a teensy bit of their personality. I won’t go so far as to say that we ultimately emulate our favorite characters from literature and television, but if a character strikes a chord in us, there’s a reason. They have a personality trait we admire, they always have a snappy comeback, they’re brave in ways we strive to be, etc.

Adolescence is a relatively new phenomenon in the grand scale of humanity, and as our lives get longer, so too do the stages of our lives. Most of us are no longer forced into adulthood at 14 by necessity. We have time to explore, to learn, to grow. This can make for stronger, more self-aware adults. YA literature reflects this. It is full of coming of age, journeys, and finding our inner strength. When YA characters finally reach that precipice just before “growing up,” many have achieved some clarity to prepare them for the next stage of their lives.

Here is the important part: young adult literature is not about writing down to children because they can’t handle “adult stuff,” and they’re too silly to care about “real” literature. Teenagers, much as we may try to deny it, are not children. They have moved past childhood into the murky gray area before adulthood. It’s a pivotal point in our modern social development when we don’t quite know everything, but we’re open to exploration and becoming who we’re going to be as adults.

I love this. I love this time when experiences are still new and powerful, but we’re wilier than our naïve childhood counterparts. This is what I write for – this developmental stage that has all the potential in the world to pave the way for the rest of our lives. It’s hard, it’s painful, it’s wonderful, it’s magic. I want to capture that in fiction and speak to it.

When I write, I try to view teenagers less as kids and more as equals. I don’t want to treat them as though their viewpoints don’t matter, or like they need to be scolded and fenced in because they’re still children. I want them to know they’re powerful; they’re in control of their own lives, even when they feel trapped. I want them to relish the freedom of youth while looking forward to the potential of adulthood.

This is what young adult literature means to me. This is why I write it.

7 comments:

{ Wendy Ramer } at: March 24, 2010 at 2:35 PM said...

Wow. I have to admit I'd never given YA any thought, being a mainstream fiction writer. But your support for the genre is inspiring. I suddenly regret being born too soon having grown up with no other option than Judy Bloom's "Forever" in my YA home library. I hope your inspiration rocket-fuels you right to stardom.

{ Christi Goddard } at: March 24, 2010 at 5:29 PM said...

I'm spoiled as I have two teenaged girls in my life that keep me on my toes as far as what is 'lame' or 'overdone' or 'so last Tuesday.' They also let me know if they think a character is interesting or flat. I think everyone should have a pair of these creatures. I bought mine on eBay for 348 Pesos apiece (the 17 year old was a steal, but I think I got hoodwinked on the 13 year old).

{ Matthew Rush } at: March 25, 2010 at 3:40 AM said...

Amen.

{ Travis Erwin } at: March 25, 2010 at 2:05 PM said...

Great post. One of these days I hope to write a YA story that is in the back of my mind.

{ MissAttitude } at: March 26, 2010 at 6:38 PM said...

Excellent post on what YA means to you. I can't wait to see what you publish because with an attitude like this, it's sure to be wonderful :)

One of the most humilating/infuriating things is when you are talked down to. I so appreciate how most YA authors don't talk down to teens. They know their audience.

I often forget that YA is a relatively new genre. It seems to have really blossomed around the time I started reading (early 2000s) so I've been lucky. I love Tamora Pierece! Besides the Royal Diaries series (which is MG), her books were the first YA books I read. I'm so glad to. Right of the bat I was introduced to a strong female mc who is impatient, colorful and a lot of fun to read about and 'hang out' with.

So glad you shared this :) BTW I bought Bleeding Violet and I'm excited to see what I'll think of it since I've read mixed reviews of it. Yours seemed to be in the middle and since I don't mind disturbing/treating sex,blood, etc. as casual events, I think I'll really like it. You did a good review of it.

{ Sarah Enni } at: March 29, 2010 at 9:43 AM said...

Here, here! I remember having major revelations when reading THE GIVER or A WRINKLE IN TIME because for once there was a book written for me that didn't talk down to me. That feeling shapes how I approach writing.

And you're right about the period of life, those nutty teens, when the most amazing parts of life open up to you for the first time and everything is magical and awful, beautiful and gut-wrenching. Characters are supposed to have "yearning," and I can't think of another time of life better described by that term!

Awesome post.

{ prashant } at: May 22, 2010 at 11:19 AM said...

Great post.
data entry india

Post a Comment

Hi. You're so pretty. I like your hair. Let's be friends.

 

Copyright © 2010 maybe genius