your thoughts on YA lit.

| Tuesday, March 9, 2010
Today's Tune: Relator

I had a rather large work order assigned to me last week, so I've been pretty swamped on the day job front. This, in addition to being sick last week, has left me feeling pretty URGLE BLURGLE, if you know what I mean. You do know what I mean, right?

So today is question and answer time! I'll ask questions, and you get to answer and maybe inspire a new post for me to write. WHO'S LUCKY? YOU'RE LUCKY! ;)

In all seriousness, I'd love to hear what you all have to say about these topics. You don't have to answer all of these, I know there are a lot!

***

Do you read young adult literature? If so, why? What draws you to it? If you don't read it, why not?

Do you ever feel weird for enjoying YA? Why?

Are there certain topics you feel are too much for teen readers to handle?

Are there certain subjects you feel aren't broached often enough in YA?

Which YA character type would you like to see less of?

Which would you like to see more of?

When you think of YA, what pops into your head right away?

What was the last YA book you read? What did you think?

3 comments:

{ Tiffany Neal } at: March 9, 2010 at 8:16 PM said...

I read TONS of YA. I love it and I am not ashamed!
Some of the best:
Hunger Games
Graceling
Unwind

I just finished reading Uglies and liked that one too.

I love reading about the strong female leads!

{ fairyhedgehog } at: March 10, 2010 at 12:35 AM said...

I love sci fi and certain types of fantasy, and if Young Adult books in those genres are well written then I'll read them.

Diane Duane has written some excellent adult fantasy books but she's now focussing mainly on her Young Wizards series, so I read them.

I recently reread Wizards at War by Duane and loved the characters, including the host of aliens.

The main difference between those books and adult books for me is the age of the protagonists, which doesn't bother me, and the simplicity of the writing, which I like.

{ jason evans } at: March 10, 2010 at 3:02 PM said...

It's not really a question you asked, but I'm not sure YA exists anymore, for real. Because YA "sells," it seems like a huge amount of literature has suddenly been classified (arbitrarily?) as YA. In a similar vein, I think it's preposterous that J.K. Rowling's 3rd through 7th Harry Potter books are called childrens literature.

Post a Comment

Hi. You're so pretty. I like your hair. Let's be friends.

 

Copyright © 2010 maybe genius