TV tropes.

| Monday, May 24, 2010
Today's Tune: Broken Heart

There's a... what? A contest? That ends on Wednesday? You don't say! I should check it out!

Oof, I'm late on today's post because I stayed up reeeeaaally late last night watching the finale of LOST. Talk about an emotional climax. I may have to do a breakdown of the thematic elements in a week or so after everyone's had time to see it if they're going to see it.

For today, I'm going to link you on over to TV Tropes, which a friend of mine recently introduced me to, and I was subsequently sucked in. If you are at all interested in exploring the themes and tropes that appear in your favorite books, TV shows, comics and movies, this site is a must read. They have a breakdown of virtually every trope used by everyone everywhere. You'll even be able to spot some you recognize from your own work.

They have plot devices, characterization and setting, all in the same place. Designated Protagonist Syndrome, Something Only They Would Say, The Chew Toy, Sadist Teacher, Wangst... it's all there. Go on, try it out. I dare you not to get sucked in for several hours, so do it when you have some time. I warned you!

6 comments:

{ KarenG } at: May 24, 2010 at 11:53 AM said...

What a helpful link! I'll have to bookmark this one.

{ Shelley Sly } at: May 24, 2010 at 12:33 PM said...

I've been hooked on TV Tropes for months now. You're right -- I find tropes on that site that I've used in my own writing, which is interesting. Definitely a time killer right there; I've spent hours reading that site, haha.

{ Whirlochre } at: May 25, 2010 at 3:27 AM said...

I'm one of the many people who started watching LOST but then became annoyed by it.

Currently enjoying Flashforward as it seems less prone to sub-plot hijack. One episode left here in the UK — unless it's all a ruse and they have a 2nd series, in which case I won't be watching.

{ Nunkin } at: May 25, 2010 at 8:15 AM said...

Dude, I don't think I've closed the tvtropes tab on my browser since I discovered the site. Glad to see I'm not the only one! Did you see the xkcd about tvtropes? http://xkcd.com/609/

{ jjdebenedictis } at: May 25, 2010 at 1:03 PM said...

Oh, no--not TV Tropes! OMG, don't click the link! Back away from the computer! Wait--what's that tugging sensation? NOOOO, IT'S ALREADY GOT MEEEeee...

*slurping sound*

{ maybe genius } at: May 25, 2010 at 2:29 PM said...

I did see that comic! So true.

Post a Comment

Hi. You're so pretty. I like your hair. Let's be friends.

 

Copyright © 2010 maybe genius