win a signed copy of The Summoning!

| Monday, May 17, 2010
Today's Tune: People Are Strange

Okay, so, I might have blown through the entire Darkest Powers trilogy in one weekend. Maybe. It was just my kind of series - lots of action, suspense and adventure, a hefty dose of paranormal/urban fantasy, a group of likable characters, a dash of romance, and a strong-but-not-unbelievable female protagonist. All factors that combine to produce a series that makes me go "yay!"

Chloe is clever, resourceful and driven with her own personality and goals (she wants to be a screenwriter and direct action/adventure films). A little meek and shy at first, she overcomes her tendency to be a doormat and learns to stick up for herself. She's not helpless, but she's not superwoman, either. In my opinion, she displays just the right amount of angst appropriate to her situation without making me want to throw the book across the room while I yell, "OMG. STOP. WHINING." A sweet girl who wants to please is ripped from her normal life and slammed with the responsibility of seeing and raising the dead, and she handles it admirably.

This series is fun, fast, and full of adventure. The splash of romance is just how I like it - slow will-they-won't-they tension that stretches for almost the entire series with a pleasing culmination, but isn't the main concern of our protagonist because she's kind of, you know, running for her life for the majority of the story. But still, butterfliiiieeeesssss.

Anyway! I'm sure you're wondering when I'm going to shut it and tell you how you can win the signed copy, amiright?

Firsties - You will be entering to win the following goodies:

A signed copy of The Summoning, of course! This is the first book in the Darkest Powers trilogy, signed by author Kelley Armstrong.

Also, to keep your energy up while you power through it:

Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate Covered Powerberries, which are flavored fruit pieces (acai, pomegranate, cranberry and blueberry) dipped in chocolate. I hear they're addictive like hard drugs, but thankfully much better for you.

Also! While you're hanging out with all of our spicy-sweet characters:

Chew on some Ginger Chews candies! Yum!

Second(ies?) - How do you win? I'm going to be doing what seems to be the blog standard draw-a-name-from-a-virtual-hat method of selecting a winner for this contest, but you do have several ways of getting an extra entry into said hat.

To enter this contest, you must comment on this entry with a non-anonymous account or name. Here is the point scale:

Comment: 1 point
Being an old follower: 2 points
Being a new follower: 1 point
Mention this contest on your blog (let me know in a comment, please!): 1 point
Mention this contest on Twitter (again, let me know you did this!): 1 point
Mention this contest somewhere else: 1 point

And there's one special way to earn a bonus 2 points - write me a paranormal/fantasy-based haiku poem and leave it as a comment! A haiku is a three-line poem that follows the build of 5 syllables, 7 syllables, 5 syllables. So something like this:

The dead do not sleep
A girl traps their spirits here
Then she feels like crap

And that's all she wrote. This contest is open to THE ENTIRE WORLD, so feel free to enter even if you do not live on the North American continent. It will be open until May 26th! Have fun!

9 comments:

{ JustineDell } at: May 17, 2010 at 10:52 AM said...

Whoop! Count me in. I'll be back and let you know about the hiaku and posting it on my blog ;-)

~JD

{ fairyhedgehog } at: May 17, 2010 at 11:49 AM said...

What a fun competition! I like a lot of Kelley Armstrong's books but this one looks like rather strong meat for me.

I'm an existing follower and also an old one (!)

I'll let you know if I do Twitter or anything!

{ fairyhedgehog } at: May 17, 2010 at 11:54 AM said...

PS apparently I'm not a follower although I get your blog feed in my google reader. Sorry about that but it was a genuine mistake!

{ jjdebenedictis } at: May 17, 2010 at 1:29 PM said...

Oh--oh--craving candied ginger, now. Guess I'd better enter.

~~~~~~~
His scent is dusty
His kisses are very dry
Mom won't like this one
~~~~~~~

But wait, I love haiku. And ginger. All of the following are meant to be separate haiku.

~~~~~~~
The wings were welcome
And glowing eyes are pretty
But fangs--not so much
~~~~~~~
She's a thinking stone
Wrapped in metal flesh
Built with no conscience
~~~~~~~
He sung up dragons
Made them real, a dream fulfilled
They burned their lips off
~~~~~~~
The elf grants a wish
He's a perfect enabler
To the doomed drunkard

{ Courtney Barr - The Southern Princess } at: May 17, 2010 at 1:57 PM said...

So so fun!

Transformed by my eyes
Encase me in your nightmare
I give you my soul



Haiku - 2
Comment - 1
Old Follower - 2
Twitter - 1 @southrnprincess
Sidebar - 1 http://princesscourtneysbarr.blogspot.com

Total Points: 7

Visit My Kingdom Anytime

{ Jen } at: May 17, 2010 at 4:25 PM said...

What a wonderful contest! I love your blog, the title is brilliant... you must just in fact be genius!!!! I love it!

I look forward to future following!

{ bamagirl1 } at: May 18, 2010 at 5:54 AM said...

Hey love your blog!!

I am a newby so +1
but I did tweet +1
commenting now +1
attempt at haiku +2
Total 5

The cold night fell fast
targets vampires swiftly grasp
a souls life at stake

{ prashant } at: May 22, 2010 at 11:18 AM said...

I'm an existing follower and also an old one (!)
data entry india

{ fairyhedgehog } at: June 15, 2010 at 3:32 AM said...

The book and the candies have arrived! Thank you so much for posting all the way to the UK - I know postage is exorbitant.

You're truly wonderful and many, many thanks.

Post a Comment

Hi. You're so pretty. I like your hair. Let's be friends.

 

Copyright © 2010 maybe genius