readings, signings, and all things in between.

| Monday, June 21, 2010
Today's Tune: Say Hello

I got to go to another author meet 'n greet and book signing this weekend! I saw Malinda Lo, Heidi R. Kling and Cheryl Renee Herbsman. I'd only read Ash, but I enjoyed Heidi and Cheryl so much that I made sure to pick up their books - Sea and Breathing, respectively.

The readings were wonderful, and the ladies were all so friendly and informative. And very, very encouraging to a newbie trying to get her feet wet, which is always greatly appreciated. I always recommend going to signings for books you're interested in. Maybe even signings for books you aren't interested in!

Author signings don't really generate huge turnouts, unless we're talking Stephen King/Stephenie Meyer/J.K. Rowling level fame. That always disappoints me, so I try to lend my support when I can. It's too bad, too, because how incredible is it when you can meet and talk in a semi-intimate setting with PUBLISHED AUTHORS in YOUR GENRE who are SUPER AWESOME and quite possibly READ ON A NATIONAL LEVEL?

So this is me championing the cause of "support your fellow authors - go to their readings and signings!" I can't imagine anything that would thrill me more than finally being published and ACTUALLY HAVING PEOPLE SHOW UP TO MY SIGNING OMG. It's not even just about the support, either. It's about meeting really cool people who are also on this crazy journey, and who you can relate to and share experiences with.

Plus they write cool things in your copy, like, "Good luck with your book!" or "Never give up the dream!" Which may not seem like much, but feels like a lot to someone who is still on the bottom rung of their dream ladder. IfyouknowwhatI'msaying.

Have you been to any cool readings or signings lately? Which authors gave you a case of OMG THEY'RE SO COOLs?

5 comments:

{ KarenG } at: June 21, 2010 at 8:45 AM said...

The only ones I've been to are my own lol and I would love to meet someone as enthusiastic and supportive as yourself! I second everything you say. It's a discouraging business to say the least and those who come and buy books are the BEST. Even the ones who come & listen and don't buy are welcome lol!

{ JustineDell } at: June 21, 2010 at 8:48 AM said...

I've never actually went to one, but this post has maybe me think twice about attending in the future. I support other writers, just as I would like to be supported when I get published. Thanks, Steph!

~JD

{ fairyhedgehog } at: June 21, 2010 at 12:50 PM said...

That sounds great.

There was a signing at our local Waterstones last weekend and I felt bad for not talking to the author - but it was an autobiography about a perilous journey and there was no way I would read that. I did feel guilty though.

{ maybe genius } at: June 21, 2010 at 1:12 PM said...

Karen - Absolutely! Any and all support is usually welcome at readings. I imagine most writers are flattered that people CARE :)

Justine - You definitely should, they can be informative and a lot of fun!

fairy - Don't feel guilty :) It's difficult to seem interested in a book you know isn't for you, and that's probably more discouraging for the author. We can only do so much!

{ Keri } at: June 22, 2010 at 8:23 PM said...

I went to a book signing for The Strain since Guillermo del Toro was in Wellington for The Hobbit. I basically just went to see what a book signing was like. Still haven't read the book...it's sitting on my shelf back home.

Post a Comment

Hi. You're so pretty. I like your hair. Let's be friends.

 

Copyright © 2010 maybe genius