101 word story.

| Monday, July 5, 2010
Today's Tune: The Sun Ain't Shining No More

Flash fiction time! I wrote this for Janet Reid's contest over the weekend. We had to write a story in 101 words or less which included certain words. My entry didn't win, but I did get a mention for having a great line, so you know. Woo! :D Sometimes it's the small things.

I have definitely noticed I have a tendency toward taking my stories the sci-fi/fantasy route.

***

My double scoop coffee ice cream hits the ground. Splat. It looks like melting Jersey cowpie. Appropriate, since that’s how I feel.

They’re still laughing at Keith’s joke. Look at Ann, all raggedy-ass clothes bought third-hand at the Razzmatazz Thrift Store. I didn’t know they made “Rolled in Shit” hair color.

The bonfire and sticky spilt beer call, and they wander off. Keith stays behind for more.

I spit in his face.

His eyes dart as the paralyzing agent works. He can’t even scream. My tongue flickers. The air tastes like terror.

I unhinge my jaw. Pop.

6 comments:

{ fairyhedgehog } at: July 5, 2010 at 8:09 AM said...

Ooh, nasty! But very well done.

{ jjdebenedictis } at: July 5, 2010 at 12:52 PM said...

Very cool! And congrats on pleasing the shark. :)

{ aspiring_x } at: July 5, 2010 at 4:17 PM said...

hee hee! i love the twists in your flash fics! awesome!

{ Theresa Milstein } at: July 5, 2010 at 5:21 PM said...

I love your writing style.

"Look at Ann, all raggedy-ass clothes bought third-hand at the Razzmatazz Thrift Store. I didn’t know they made “Rolled in Shit” hair color." Harsh!

What a great ending: "I unhinge my jaw. Pop."

Can't wait to see your Blog Fest entry on Wednesday.

{ maybe genius } at: July 5, 2010 at 6:33 PM said...

Thanks, all! It was a fun little exercise :)

{ Portia } at: July 6, 2010 at 4:03 AM said...

This character has character! I love the melting Jersey cowpie and "Rolled in Shit" hair color lines :-)

Post a Comment

Hi. You're so pretty. I like your hair. Let's be friends.

 

Copyright © 2010 maybe genius