Guess That Character Blogfest: The Scene

| Thursday, August 19, 2010
Today's Tune: Lollipop (Candyman)

It's a blogfest day!

Today is the Guess That Character Blogfest. The goal is post a scene with a character in it, and to AVOID describing their physical appearance. Readers guess what the character looks like based on voice, personality, and action. Tomorrow, all participants are supposed to post a picture or description so everyone can see how close they were.

So, let's see if you can guess what my character looks like based on the scene below :) Then go check out all the other participants! There are A LOT of them.

Aaaaaaand SCENE.

***

I'm still pissed at Kyla. I thought I'd relax during my bike ride home, but now I'm just pissed and hot. She didn't have a great time last night. I get it. But dumping me like that, just as everyone was getting out of class? Why the hell was that necessary?

I lock my bike up. Probably not as carefully as I should, but I don't care. I pace back and forth for a minute. If I go inside like this, Ma will pick at me till I give in. It's none of her freaking business.

I swing my book bag over my head and let it hit the lawn. It puts a dent in the grass. Dad won't be thrilled, but it made me feel a little better. Okay.

Why do I even care? We've been on the rocks for a while. Maybe I'm just ticked I didn't do it first. I hate it when she gets a leg up on me.

Doesn't matter. I pick up my bag and go inside. The door slams harder than I meant it to. Oops.

"Shan? Is that you?" Ma calls from the back room.

"Who else would it be? Sati's at orchestra practice."

"Ah, that's right. I'd forgotten. Help your father in the kitchen, won't you? He's making a mess of dinner."

Leave it to Ma to be able to tell Dad's screwing up the masala based on smell alone. I toss my bag into my room on the way to the kitchen.

She's not wrong. Dad's standing next to the stove measuring out cream while the chicken's burning. I swoop in and start flipping, trying to salvage what I can. I hit the fan so that the acrid smoke smell blows off.

"Dad. We've been over this. Measure ingredients first, then start cooking."

"Oh?" He turns to look at me, can of tomatoes in one hand, knife in the other. "I didn't hear you come in."

"Ma sent in reinforcements. Here. You do the chicken. Give me the knife. Slowly."

He does. I move the ginger and turmeric aside and reach for the garlic. Smashing the cloves against the counter while picturing Kyla's smug, stupid face is almost therapeutic.

"Is something the matter?" Ma says from behind me. She surprises me so bad I nearly lose my grip on the knife.

"God, Ma. You almost had to take me to the ER tonight instead of Dad." I turn to look at her and notice her long hair's braided down her back and she's dressed in a full sari. That can only mean one thing. "Going to see Naani?"

She flutters her hand at me. It makes her bracelets jangle. Translation is clear: don't change the subject.

I sigh. "Nothing's wrong, okay?"

"You're tense. Did something happen at school?"

"Seriously, it's no big deal."

"Shan."

"Ma."

"Ikshan. Speak."

I knew this was going to happen. She won't let up until I tell her. Lying's pointless. She's got some sort of sixth-super-mom-lie-detector sense.

"Kyla broke up with me, all right?" I say.

"Ah," she says. She doesn't look especially surprised. Or upset for me.

"Pity, she seemed like a nice girl," Dad says. Ma gives him the eye.

"Just say it. I know you're thinking it," I say.

"You know I've always thought you could do better."

"You thought she was slutty, you mean."

Dad coughs beside me, but I'm pretty sure he's hiding a laugh. Ma's chewing her tongue.

"I'm sorry she hurt you," she says. "You know I'd never want that. But I'm not going to pretend I don't think you're better off without her."

The anger I thought I'd smashed into the garlic is coming out again. "Yeah, well, I don't care what you think. You help Dad with dinner. I'm done."

I brush past her and go straight to my room. The door slams behind me. I flop onto my back on the bed and cover my eyes with my palms. Come on. Get a grip.

I lay like that for a while. Long enough to hear Ma argue softly with Dad and then leave for my grandmother's house.

When the smoke detector goes off, I groan and get up. Sounds like we're ordering takeout tonight.

***

Whew, okay, there's my scene. So, what does Shan look like? You tell me :D Be sure to come back tomorrow for the "reveal" when I post a picture of my vision of Shan. Thanks for reading!

25 comments:

{ aspiring_x } at: August 19, 2010 at 6:26 AM said...

oh man! i pictured dev patel when i heard the names... i've been watching way too much SKINS... :)

{ j.leigh.bailey } at: August 19, 2010 at 8:44 AM said...

No fair, I was picturing Dev Patel too!! Dark hair, dark eyes, golden skin. Probably dressed like a regular teenaged boy. Jeans, t-shirt. Fairly clean-cut looking.

{ Jen } at: August 19, 2010 at 9:02 AM said...

I had to google to see who Dev Patel was but what I pictured wasn't even close so I'll give you my best guess.

My Guess: Dark brown hair, always a mess, tall and thin, confident in himself, golden-tanned skin, bold brown eyes.

Thanks for joining in on the fun! I hope you are enjoying all the other entries! I know I am!

{ Summer Ross } at: August 19, 2010 at 9:22 AM said...

Tall, athletic but not overly muscular. I picture a polo shirt and loose jeans. Short wavy blonde hair hazel eyes. hes probably 17

{ Amie McCracken } at: August 19, 2010 at 9:47 AM said...

Wow, he has a lot of power over his parents. They take a lot of crap from him.

Indian, which means dark hair, golden skin, dark eyes. But I see a guy who is attempting to pull off cool, but he's working too hard at it. Therefore, he looks preppy.

{ Nicole Murray } at: August 19, 2010 at 12:31 PM said...

Tall with bright eyes and a lot of hair. Average build. Average handsome.

{ Emily White } at: August 19, 2010 at 3:01 PM said...

Dark olive-toned skin, black wavy hair, with deep black eyes. I'm also thinking a rounded nose with a little hint of scruff on his face.

Definitely some defined cheekbones in there and kinda muscular build (not bulky, but strong).

Great snippet! :D

{ Dianne K. Salerni } at: August 19, 2010 at 4:40 PM said...

Shan has dark straight hair, which hangs in a fringe in front of his eyes. He's slender, not as muscular as some of the other boys at school, but he's lithe and fast. He has a slender face, with dark olive skin, and dreamboat brown eyes with lashes that most girls would kill for.

{ Bethany Mattingly } at: August 19, 2010 at 4:58 PM said...

The Shan I see has deep brown eyes with long lashes and naturally tanned skin. He's got shorter hair but it's longer in the front a bit and it's kind of messy. I can't wait to see the real Shan tomorrow! Great excerpt!

{ Vicki Rocho } at: August 19, 2010 at 5:11 PM said...

I had to google Dev Patel too..(why am I reading other comments anyway? Shame on me)

I see him as tall and lean. Black hair, shortish and stylishly spiky/messy. Golden eyes - by far his best feature. A brilliantly white smile, which seems even brighter next to his tanned skin. He's well-dressed, smart and funny, and popular at school. Maybe not elite-popular but he's got lots of friends and plenty of girls swooning over him. There.

{ Damyanti } at: August 19, 2010 at 5:24 PM said...

A tall, lanky, Indian boy, with dark hair and dark eyes....not very muscular.

Nice job with the scene!

{ Terry Stonecrop } at: August 19, 2010 at 5:54 PM said...

I think he's medium height, black hair, dark, penetrating eyes.

Tired of his mother's being so right.

Love the way you used the dinner to tell so much about his family life:) Great scene. Lots of angst and pent up frustration!

{ Brenda Drake } at: August 19, 2010 at 6:23 PM said...

I'd say dark hair, dark eyes, golden skin. His hair in thick and messy in a good way. He dresses trendy. His parents are patient with him so I'm thinking this is an unusual attitude for him.

Great voice and visual scene. Can't wait to meet him tomorrow. :D

{ Hanna C. Howard } at: August 19, 2010 at 7:56 PM said...

I'm seeing him as a bit of a medium-build. Indian with the beautiful golden complexion and deep eyes, but I think he keeps his black hair messy--and likes it that way.

I love the voice. Very well written!

{ Susan Fields } at: August 19, 2010 at 8:24 PM said...

I see dark olive skin, big brown eyes with gorgeous dark lashes, jet black hair. He's tall and athletically built. Great scene!

{ Stephanie } at: August 19, 2010 at 8:25 PM said...

Dark hair, kept short, maybe a little longer on top. Dark skin, thin build...not muscular at all. I see him wearing a t-shirt under a long sleeve button down shirt and khaki pants.

Looking forward to the reveal!!

{ Diane J. } at: August 19, 2010 at 9:39 PM said...

I'm going with j.leigh.bailey. Her description was similar to what I was thinking.

{ J.C. Martin @ Fighter Writer } at: August 19, 2010 at 9:58 PM said...

Ooh, I have dreamy Syed Masood from Eastenders in mind! But a teenage version, minus the stubble.

{ Clara } at: August 19, 2010 at 10:07 PM said...

Awesooooooooooooooooooome! I pictured that kid from Slumdog Millionaire! Loved this scene so much!!!!!

{ Elizabeth Mueller } at: August 19, 2010 at 11:01 PM said...

You did a great job writing multi-cultural! (I do it all the time since my background isn't Caucasian and a lot of my MCs are!) :D

I'm thinking he's very tall, muscular, of course brown eyes and jet black hair. And he's handsome, too. His hair is spiked and he's wearing a T-shirt and relaxed jeans.

{ Amanda Sablan } at: August 20, 2010 at 12:38 AM said...

That was a good scene, thanks for sharing!

To me, Shan seems like a handsome dude with muscles and black, close-cropped hair. To offset that, he's got gentle green eyes. His dress style is casual but he can pull off a suit real well.

{ Margo Berendsen } at: August 20, 2010 at 5:19 AM said...

Even if his mother appears to be Indian (the sari) I'm going to be a rebel and say this guy is curly short blonde and blue eyed, and he gets lots of questions about if he's adopted :)

{ Margo Berendsen } at: August 20, 2010 at 5:24 AM said...

Okay, I decided to leave another comment - honestly the voice of this character came across as a girl, and I thought she was having a fight with her friend, until I read the "breaking up" part and the name, Shan. I suppose because I didn't picture a boy helping dad with the cooking. Though boys (and dads) should definitely in the kitchen more - this I like!

{ Francine } at: August 20, 2010 at 11:43 AM said...

Hi,

I'm so sorry, somehow I missed your post! I tried so hard to get around to every blog.

best
F

{ Talei } at: August 20, 2010 at 11:44 AM said...

Hello ;))

I've purposed bypassed the pic to write up my guess first. Shan is of Indian descent, with short spiky hair and lovely big brown eyes. I think he's probably got a cheeky smile too!

Loved your snippet - especially his parents reaction to the break-up. ;)

Post a Comment

Hi. You're so pretty. I like your hair. Let's be friends.

 

Copyright © 2010 maybe genius