Announcing the MASH-UP BLOGFEST!

| Wednesday, September 1, 2010
Today's Tune: Halo/Walking On Sunshine

I've participated in quite a few blogfests, and I always find them super fun. But I've never hosted one. And I thought to myself, hey, self, we should remedy that. Also, there are prizes. Prizes!

SO I PRESENT TO YOU: THE MASH-UP BLOGFEST!


MEIN GOTT, WHAT IS IT?!

The Mash-Up Blogfest is a 'fest inspired by musical mash-ups like this or this or this - taking two different songs and weaving them together in a humorous or pleasing way. Participants will "mash up" two genres that are not normally written together into one delightfully weird piece of flash fiction. Or poetry, if you're so inclined. Think Romantic Horror, Sci-Fi Court Drama, or Medical Thriller Western.

Also, this is not a traditional mash-up per se, but it's Rivers Cuomo and B.O.B. mixing pop rock with hip hop and it's awesooooooome.

WHEN IS IT DUE?!

Friday, October 1st. That gives you exactly one month!

THE RULES! ARE RIGHT HERE!

1.) In no more than 1000 words, produce an original work of fiction or poetry that combines two genres that are not normally written together. You may include characters or a scene from a WIP, but make sure it fits within the theme of the blogfest.

2.) It is due October 1st by 11:59 PM. You are welcome to participate later, but your entry will not count toward the prizes.

3.) Sign up on Mr. Linky at the bottom of this entry to participate.

4.) You can specify the genres you're mashing, or leave it up to the readers to decide. Up to you.

WHY AM I YELLING?!

I DON'T KNOW. STOP IT.

Sorry. What else do participants need to know?

I'm totally stealing Emily White's idea of selecting 5 finalists and then letting the masses vote for the winners. Pressure off me! Ha! Sort of.

I will give one little pointer to watch for: Please, please, please edit. It doesn't have to be super-polished quality. I understand that a month is a tight time constraint and will take that into account, but I am expecting at least one rough edit for spelling, grammar, punctuation, and homonym errors. I view blogfests as lots of fun, but also potential writing exercises/learning experiences. Don't worry, I'm not going to discount your entry if you make a mistake. Just saying it doesn't hurt to practice self-editing skills, too.

Also, I'm looking for entries that think outside the box, but you don't have to be wacky for the sake of being wacky. If you can make me think, "Wow, this Western Space Opera Spy Heist Thriller really WORKS," I will be impressed.

Okay okay. What about the prizes?

FIRST PLACE: Your choice of one of the following prize packs.

STARDUST PRIZE PACK


The Stardust graphic novel by Neil Gaiman and Charles Vess


AND The Stardust DVD, which is SUCH A GOOD MOVIE


AND your choice of one of the following perfumes from Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab*:

Lady Una - Honey musk, green tea leaf, blackberry leaf, vanilla bean, and fae spices.

or Tristran - Dust on your trousers, mud on your boots, and stars in your eyes: redwood, tonka bean, white sandalwood, lemon peel, patchouli, rosewood, coriander, and crushed mint.


or the EDGAR ALLAN POE PRIZE PACK


Tales of Death & Dementia - Four of Poe's short stories illustrated by Gris Grimly

AND an Edgar Allan Poe action figure


AND your choice of one of the following perfumes from BPAL*:

Detestable Putrescence - A melty vanilla ice cream!

or Hideous Heart - A macabre Valentine: Wild black cherries, licorice root, & cinnamon.

*Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab creates unique perfume oils in small vials, and are of very high quality. The scents are not synthetic, and can vary based on skin chemistry. They can be worn by men or women.

SECOND PLACE: You will receive the other prize pack - First Place gets first dibs.

THIRD PLACE: You will receive your choice of a $20 Amazon gift card OR Eat Me perfume from BPAL (Three white cakes, vanilla, and red and black currants).

***

Yeah. You know you want to get in on this. So do it! Leave your name and blog link below! Hopefully it works... if not, I'll figure something out.

Powered by Linky Tools

Click here to enter and view the entire list of entered links...

32 comments:

{ Emily White } at: September 1, 2010 at 8:25 AM said...

What a great idea! I can't wait!

{ Old Kitty } at: September 1, 2010 at 8:38 AM said...

An Edgar Allan Poe action figure.

Where on this god's green earth did you get that?!!?

Good luck everyone joining!! Have a fab mash-up time! (I remember the mash-up dances at the end of a school disco - lots of bruises there but oh so free-ing!!!).

Take care
x

{ Summer Ross } at: September 1, 2010 at 10:21 AM said...

I'll post this blogfest up on my sidebar and I'll see if I can come up with something for it. There are so many blogfests. lol I've been having fun entering them and posting as many as I can find on my homepage. this should be fun.

{ aspiring_x } at: September 2, 2010 at 6:58 AM said...

i second old kitty.. where in the world did you find that?!?! that has to be the awesomest thing i've seen in SO long!! but all your prizes push the limit on cool!

i don't know if i'll have time to participate. we'll see...

but this is a wonderful idea! mash-ups make me think of glee... :)
if nothing else, i'll advertise it!

yay! so much fun! :)

{ Elena Solodow } at: September 2, 2010 at 10:41 AM said...

This looks like amazing fun, and the prizes even better!

Look forward to 10/1.

{ Elena Solodow } at: September 2, 2010 at 10:43 AM said...

I've also linked to this on my blog.

{ Francine } at: September 2, 2010 at 11:34 AM said...

Hi,

I would ordinarily love to participate, but I'm already committed to my own bloggfest 2nd Oct and that of Tessa's on the 2nd Oct.

Sorry, really sorry.

best
F

{ Francine } at: September 2, 2010 at 11:35 AM said...

Meant to say: nevertheless will post up your blogfest banner!

best
F

{ Steph Sinkhorn } at: September 2, 2010 at 1:43 PM said...

Emily - Yay!

Kitty - Amazon has everything :D

aspiring_x - I hope you can, but if not, I hope you enjoy all the entries!

Elena - So glad you're joining, and thanks for linking!

Francine - I'm sorry you're otherwise engaged. I'll be happy to link yours, as well :)

{ Kay } at: September 2, 2010 at 4:11 PM said...

I'll be thinking up something to enter...for now, just wanted to let you know I LOVE B.O.B.! Had to say that 'cause I saw you mention him.

K

{ Kay } at: September 2, 2010 at 4:15 PM said...

Whoa! I just read your pitch for Tick-Tock Hearts -- sounds wicked, Blade Runner meets...I, Robot? Maybe that's a bad juxtaposition, but the story sounds awesome! :-)

K

{ Lynda Young } at: September 2, 2010 at 5:38 PM said...

I love this idea! Not sure if I can write something in time with my busy schedule, but I will try :)

W.I.P. It: A Writer's Journey

{ Dangerous With a Pen } at: September 2, 2010 at 8:04 PM said...

Sounds awesome! I am new to blogfests but I love the writerly stretch they are giving my brain, trying new things. I am a teacher so I don't know if I'll have much writing time this first month of school but I will try!

{ Damyanti } at: September 2, 2010 at 8:10 PM said...

Wow, this is fun! I will have to post in advance, and spread my blogfest entries over two blogs, cos there are two others on and around the same date!

Will sign up like the mad addict that I've become!

I live too far away for the prizes, but reading an commenting on all the other entries would be reward enough :D

{ Christi Goddard } at: September 3, 2010 at 7:56 AM said...

I totally need that Poe action figure. I'm in. I don't see a sign up thingy, though. Am I blind(er than usual)?

{ Steph Sinkhorn } at: September 3, 2010 at 10:36 AM said...

Yay for all entrants and people who are going to try and participate :D

Christi - There should be a list of green links at the bottom with a blue "Click here to enter" link. If you can't see it and want to enter, just let me know and I'll add your name for you :)

{ Liz } at: September 3, 2010 at 2:28 PM said...

This will be my first blogfest. Looking forward to it!

{ roh morgon } at: September 6, 2010 at 10:45 AM said...

Exhausted from participating in three blogfests over six days, I'd decided to limit myself to one per month.

But then I saw yours. Since then, my brain's been bubbling with a story, and as the characters are taking shape, they are demanding I tell it.

Sooo...looks like I'm gonna have to add this one to my list of blogfests!

Speaking of blogfests, I'm hosting the Back-to-School Daze Blogfest on September 15...

{ Steph Sinkhorn } at: September 6, 2010 at 11:48 AM said...

Yay! Please do, Roh. It'll be tons of fun :D I've added your blogfest to my list of upcoming events!

{ Lisa Potts } at: September 7, 2010 at 12:38 PM said...

Steph, hope you had a wonderful Labor Day. Even with three days off, my weekend still went by too fast.

The blogfest looks like fun.

{ Compulsive Reader } at: September 9, 2010 at 5:29 PM said...

Does it count as two genres if a guy does an opera in space? Yes, it sounds ridiculous but the character who came up wih the idea is ridiculous in general.

{ Steph Sinkhorn } at: September 9, 2010 at 11:08 PM said...

Hahaha sure. An opera in space is not the same as a space opera. I'm for it :D

{ Tessa Conte } at: September 16, 2010 at 1:59 AM said...

What a cool idea! I've added you to my list, hope I can think of something good!

{ RosieC } at: September 16, 2010 at 2:35 PM said...

I've been wracking my brain forever now trying to come up with something to mash, and FINALLY thought of it. Now let's hope I can pull it off.

This is so much fun. Thanks for hosting it, Steph :)

{ eeleenlee } at: September 21, 2010 at 1:50 AM said...

Sounds great!

{ J.C. Martin } at: September 21, 2010 at 4:10 AM said...

Ooh...there are prizes? I'm definitely in!

P.S.: Drop by my site for a blog award!

http://jc-martin.com/fighterwriter/awards/

{ RosieC } at: September 28, 2010 at 4:04 PM said...

Dangit! Even though I have my idea, there's no way I can finish it up by Friday. Bummer. Gonna have to pull out. Sorry!

{ Steph Sinkhorn } at: September 29, 2010 at 11:19 AM said...

Aw, I'm sorry to hear that, Rosie. I hope you'll still come by and read the other entries! :)

{ Brenda Drake } at: September 30, 2010 at 3:00 PM said...

Aww,Steph, I wish I could participate in this blogfest, but I have a class all day tomorrow. It's sounds like tons of fun, so I'll hop around and read the entries. Good luck everyone! Can't wait to see what everyone writes! :D

{ Franklin Beaumont } at: September 30, 2010 at 3:32 PM said...

Hi Steph, great idea for a blogfest! Looking forward to some interesting entries - and I'm already coveting that Edgar Allan Poe action figure. ;)

{ Dawn Embers } at: September 30, 2010 at 5:35 PM said...

This looks like fun. I came upon the blogfest yesterday but am still going to try and post something tomorrow.

{ arlee bird } at: October 1, 2010 at 8:51 AM said...

I'm entering on the spur of the moment since I had already posted a flash fiction piece. Don't know if what I did fits, but thought I'd toss it out there.

Lee
http://tossingitout.blogspot.com/2010/10/place-where-no-one-was.html

Post a Comment

Hi. You're so pretty. I like your hair. Let's be friends.

 

Copyright © 2010 maybe genius