friday ramblings.

| Friday, September 24, 2010
Today's Tune: Boys Don't Cry

ACK, late with my post for the second time this week. WEAK, STEPHANIE. WEAK.

Just a few quick things: if you missed Social Good Day/my video yesterday, please check it out. There's a direct link before the embedded video if you can't get it to work. I talk about a few causes I really believe in, and I'd love it if you gave them a shot.

Second, everyone needs to check out Guys Read like, right this second. There have been many blog posts and articles written about the fact that boy readers significantly drop off once they reach high school age, and there are a lot of reasons for that. The Guys Read website is there to inspire a love of reading in boys from a young age, and is a fantastic go-to resource for subject boys may find interesting and want to read about.

I mean, yes, the topics are sort of stereotypically masculine, but I recognize the fact that young boys may not quite grasp the nuances of gender dualism and all that, and the most important thing is to get them reading so they grow up in a reading culture. Also, Grimm's Fairy Tales, The Golden Compass, Tuck Everlasting and others are on the list, so they get a pass from me.

I have clearly been spending WAY TOO MUCH TIME on forums lately, because I just tried to italicize with BB code. DERP.

Aaaaand I think that's about all I have time for today, but I will have LOTS OF SHINY NEW POSTS NEXT WEEK!

Also, we're coming up on the VERY LAST WEEK to sign up for the Mash-Up Blogfest!!! You should definitely join. It will be a great writing exercise and lots of fun, I promise. Plus, PRIZES. You know you want prizes. And in case there was any confusion about this, I am totally willing to send internationally. So if you're in a country other than the U.S. and you've been holding off on entering because you thought I wouldn't ship to you, then you should know I WILL TOTALLY SHIP TO YOU IF YOU WIN so you should join. It may take a little longer, but I will make it happen.

Okay. Have a great weekend, everyone!

2 comments:

{ Old Kitty } at: September 24, 2010 at 2:19 PM said...

There's some amazing statistics on that Guys Read site - that's always been a concern - girls tending to do well academically than boys and now this - boys tending not to be book readers. I just hope that by the time they can legally vote their love of books will return - I mean there are enough male writer-ly blogs out here in blogworld to make me hope that their love of books returns eventually! :-)

Have a great weekend too!

take care
x

{ Angela M. } at: September 24, 2010 at 6:29 PM said...

I'll have to check it out. All three of my girls are avid readers, absolutely voracious, and my 3yo son love, loves, loves books for the time being, but my oldest son is 17. Yeah, not so much.

But maybe we can find books he'd like more on this site. He reads a lot of YA fantasy now but I think he's getting genre-fried. I need to find him something a little more edgy. Thanks for the link!

Post a Comment

Hi. You're so pretty. I like your hair. Let's be friends.

 

Copyright © 2010 maybe genius