social media for social good.

| Wednesday, September 22, 2010
Today's Tune: King of Anything

Oooooh, I'm a little late with my post today. Sorry!

I got some AWESOME, AWESOME writerly news yesterday, and I'm going to be a complete jerktease and not tell you what because I want it to be "official" first. But as soon as it is, I'll let you know! To ease the speculation, it's not agent news and it's not book news ;) But it is related to my writing.

Anyway!


Mashable has declared tomorrow Social Good Day, and I'm planning on participating via vlog. I encourage all my readers to participate as well. The idea is to use your social media platform and outreach to encourage people to participate in causes for social good. Here are a few ideas from Mashable about how you can use your sphere of influence to support a cause. I'm going to be plugging a few causes I really believe in by tying them together with relevant YA books in my video tomorrow. You can also post a blog, talk about it on Twitter, Like your favorite causes on Facebook, update all your daily statuses to encourage involvement in charity, and whatever else you can think of.

While no one's required to donate, of course, I'm planning on donating to each of my respective causes because I believe in putting my money where my mouth is. But if you can't afford a donation right now, spreading the word is just as important. There are also meetups that will be going on all over the world tomorrow for those that want to meet others who are into social media for social good.

Those who have been following me for a while know that I'm super into social media and everything it can mean. It can be used for a lot of things - good, evil, community, vanity, marketing, sharing... the list goes on. But here it is in a nutshell: social media gives all of us the opportunity to talk to dozens, hundreds, thousands, or even millions of people all at once. You. Me. Any of us. We have a platform. And I believe in using that platform for good.

So tomorrow, please consider participating in #socialgood and using YOUR platform to make the world a little less sucky and a little more wonderful :)

See you then!

1 comments:

{ Angela M. } at: September 22, 2010 at 9:56 PM said...

I really need to get cracking on the Twitter thing. I have an account, but I haven't started using it yet.

I've got an award for you on my blog! Come and get it from here.

Post a Comment

Hi. You're so pretty. I like your hair. Let's be friends.

 

Copyright © 2010 maybe genius