he singed me with his violet eyes.

| Friday, October 8, 2010
Today's Tune: Blue Eyes

Every time I type "singed" I feel like I'm typing the past tense of "sing." And then I have to remind myself that the past tense of "sing" is "sung" and that I am a total spaz.

But! That is not what I wanted to talk about in this post.

I wanted to talk about violet eyes.

They're everywhere. What is it about smoldering, beautiful, shockingly violet eyes? I've even discovered them in my own writing. Yes, once upon I time, I too fell under the spell of a purple-eyed character.

Is it the mystery? The exotic factor? The "this character maybe-probably has some sort of supernatural ability" foreshadowing? The uniqueness? Or the fact that the color is REALLY REALLY PRETTY?

I'm genuinely perplexed by this. Nearly every paranormal/fantasy writer I know has had a character with violet eyes at some point.

How about you? Have you ever been bitten by the violet-eyed bug? What were you trying to say with those eyes?

8 comments:

{ Old Kitty } at: October 8, 2010 at 9:15 AM said...

My friend and I nearly went gaga over these throwaway contact lenses that were silly but fabulous colours - yellow/pink/violet.... oh they were so so so tempting... and we were so tempted!!! :-)

Take care
x

{ Emily White } at: October 8, 2010 at 9:31 AM said...

I can honestly say I've never gone the way of the violet eyes! I've done black eyes, grey eyes, blue, green, and am currently writing about someone with pink eyes, but no made up colored eyes. Hmm...maybe someone should write about orange eyes. That would be creepy.

{ jjdebenedictis } at: October 8, 2010 at 11:36 AM said...

I've never seen violet eyes, so I wouldn't put them in my writing. It's one of those things that makes me think I've gone too far into make-believe for believability.

I have seen a fellow who had naturally yellow eyes, however. They were pretty creepy looking, but he was quite a nice gent.

{ Kimberly } at: October 8, 2010 at 1:21 PM said...

There's a tvtrope entry on purple eyes! http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PurpleEyes

{ Shelley Sly } at: October 8, 2010 at 2:48 PM said...

I haven't written about anyone with violet eyes, but I bet they would look really pretty.

I also see "singed" as the past tense of sing at first. My brain kind of hiccups on words like that.

{ aspiring_x } at: October 8, 2010 at 5:05 PM said...

i don't think so...
but i think it is the unique factor.

{ Christi Goddard } at: October 8, 2010 at 5:06 PM said...

I'll admit my MC in my first book has purple eyes, dark ones with snake irises and yellow striations. I wrote it years ago, but I see it's become trendy these days.

{ Brooke R. Busse } at: August 18, 2011 at 6:08 PM said...

My MC, her brother, and their mother all have purple eyes. But it bears a purpose. It does I say!

Post a Comment

Hi. You're so pretty. I like your hair. Let's be friends.

 

Copyright © 2010 maybe genius