So, I'm a runner-up for the Katherine Paterson Prize and stuff.

| Wednesday, October 6, 2010
Today's Tune: The First Single

Don't forget to get your vote in for the Mash-Up Blogfest! Voting is open until October 11th. Help your fellow writers win sweet prizes ;)

I have an announcement today. I've been yapping about this all over to everyone lately, so please indulge me if you've heard it before. I'm excitable, what can I say :D

Much earlier this year, I submitted a YA short story to Hunger Mountain for consideration for the Katherine Paterson Prize. Months and months went by, the deadline came and went, and I just kind of let it slip to the back of my mind. To be honest, I knew I was competing with highly-skilled writers, MFA students and graduates, so I didn't expect much. Maybe the editors would give me some positive feedback. Maybe.

Then, on September 21st, I received an email letting me know that my story, "Chasing Shadows," had been chosen as the YA runner-up for the Katherine Paterson Prize for YA and Children's Writing. And that they wanted to publish me in the January 2011 online edition of the YA and Children's Literature journal. And that guest judge HOLLY FREAKING BLACK thought my writing was "beautiful and lyrical."

And then I proceeded to wig out.

And I'm still kind of wigging out, because OMG, SERIOUSLY, YOU GUYS. SERIOUSLY.

I decided to sit on the information all this time because it hadn't been officially announced yet, BUT NOW IT HAS AND I CAN FREAK OUT IN PUBLIC.

I'm not sure I can put into words how gobsmacked and honored and flattered and excited and crazy and awed this makes me feel. I've always felt like a "real" writer, but now I feel like a REALLY REAL FOR SERIOUSLY SERIOUS writer. Like, a writer who wins literary honors holy crap. People whose job it is to know good writing thought my writing was worthy of a runner-up spot. GAH. GAAAAH.

I know I wasn't the "grand prize" winner (that honor went to Jaramy Conners - congrats, dude!), but that definitely doesn't put a damper on my mood.

Okay, I'll stop gushing now. It's just... wow. Wow. I'm going to be published in a literary journal! SQUEE!

And more congrats to my fellow winners and finalists!

20 comments:

{ KarenG } at: October 6, 2010 at 8:04 AM said...

HUGE congrats, this is a very big deal, you should be freaking out, holy freakin crap, this alone will get you an agent. Hope you have a few finished mss. ready to go.

{ j.leigh.bailey } at: October 6, 2010 at 8:08 AM said...

That is freakin' awesome! I don't know how you managed to sit on if for so long! Very, very cool. :D

{ Meredith } at: October 6, 2010 at 8:21 AM said...

Congratulations!!! That's so exciting! I hope you're celebrating :)

{ Christi Goddard } at: October 6, 2010 at 8:40 AM said...

It's your tempered aloofness about the whole thing that really won me over. ;-) Congrats, Steph. You totally deserve it.

{ Old Kitty } at: October 6, 2010 at 9:28 AM said...

Oh you STAR!!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Oh yay!!!!!!

I am also squeeee-ing in your honour - how fantastic!!!! GOOD FOR YOU!!!

Yay!!!! :-)

Take care
x

{ Emily White } at: October 6, 2010 at 9:32 AM said...

Yaaaaaaaay! How exciting! Sending balloons and confetti your way!

{ Elena Solodow } at: October 6, 2010 at 9:34 AM said...

Congrats! That A-mazing!!!

{ aspiring_x } at: October 6, 2010 at 10:17 AM said...

MAYBE!!!! HOORAY!!!!
that's excellent!!!!!!
i'm so happy for you- not surprised- but happy!!!!
i remember reading something you wrote over at NB's place about a guy near a lake - and it was so gorgeous, so haunting- definitely lyrical- i was like "this chick is the real deal"
you totally deserve the honor! i'm glad they saw that!!!

{ fairyhedgehog } at: October 6, 2010 at 10:32 AM said...

Congratulations! I'm so pleased for you! Well done!

{ Steph Sinkhorn } at: October 6, 2010 at 10:37 AM said...

Thank you all so, so much. *LOVE*

I think I also owe a debt of gratitude to the blogosphere and everyone who cheers writers on. It's definitely kept me going!

Karen: Oh man, I'm going to have to work double-time on editing my current mss! OH MY GAH.

{ Shelley Sly } at: October 6, 2010 at 10:52 AM said...

Congratulations!! That is such great news!! :D

{ Carol Riggs } at: October 6, 2010 at 12:01 PM said...

That is SO cool, Steph! Big congratz! (so that's what you've been doing lately--missed ya at the Mansion for critiques!). Wow, I now know a soon-to-be-published and serious writer, very cool. ;o)

Hey, while playing blogger award tag, I awarded you a LOVELY BLOG AWARD on my blog! Come fetch the image to post it on your site:

artzicarol ramblings

{ Myrna Foster } at: October 6, 2010 at 12:25 PM said...

Congratulations! That is incredibly cool.

{ jjdebenedictis } at: October 6, 2010 at 12:28 PM said...

Yay, you! *thrashes pom-poms*

{ Claudie A. } at: October 6, 2010 at 1:04 PM said...

Wooh, congratz, Steph, that's absolutely awesome! :D

{ Paul } at: October 6, 2010 at 7:25 PM said...

You have entered the hallowed halls, the upper echelon. Don't forget us when you hit the bigs. We luv you!

{ Whirlochre } at: October 7, 2010 at 12:40 AM said...

That's great news.

{ J.C. Martin } at: October 7, 2010 at 12:51 AM said...

Excellent news! Congratulations!

{ Lisa Potts } at: October 7, 2010 at 8:21 AM said...

I'm so excited for you! Aren't days like this great? Heartfelt congrats.

{ Jemi Fraser } at: October 7, 2010 at 4:27 PM said...

Woohoo! Gush away - that's awesome news! Congratulaation! :)

Post a Comment

Hi. You're so pretty. I like your hair. Let's be friends.

 

Copyright © 2010 maybe genius