talk to me about what you're reading.

| Friday, March 11, 2011

Happy Friday, dudes! Or potentially Saturday, for my friends in Europe/Asia/Australia, I suppose. What have you been reading lately? I've been churning through the Kindle books. I bet you'd like to know my thoughts, right? ;)

Zombies vs. Unicorns
edited by Holly Black and Justine Larbalestier

An interesting read. This is an anthology of short stories about... zombies and unicorns OMG YOU'RE SHOCKED I KNOW. The stories switch back and forth, with little asides by Team Unicorn (Black) and Team Zombie (Larbalestier) in between. Some very recognizable names are featured in the anthology, such as YA authors Maureen Johnson, Margo Lanagan, and Scott Westerfield. The stories themselves are a mixed bag - they range from emotionally powerful and well-written to "meh." Darkness and silliness abound, though not always together. Some of the stories were worth the read. Might be worth seeing if you can find it at the library.

The Mockingbirds
by Daisy Whitney

Just as a disclaimer, I tend to be extremely picky about the portrayal of rape in fiction. I have Very Important Opinions, and there is little that gets under my skin worse than an author who misuses rape or attempted rape for added tension and sympathy. That said, I found Whitney's issue novel to be incredibly realistic and moving in its portrayal of date rape. According to the author's note, Whitney herself experienced a date rape while away at college, and her background is clearly evident in the protagonist's honest and heartfelt situation. I did have a few personal nitpicks over Whitney's writing style and I found some of the other characters to border on unrealistic, but overall I felt this was a well-done issue novel that treated its topic with care.

Tender Morsels
by Margo Lanagan

Oh, this book. This book is rough. Beautifully written and filled with genuine emotion and painfully lovely prose, but freakin' rough. It's easy to see why there was such outcry over this book - its unflinching portrayal of sex, rape, lust, and incest is at times difficult to read. One scene in particular left me feeling physically ill. If such topics are disturbing or distasteful to you (I mean, I *hope* rape is distasteful to you, but if you don't want to READ about it), you may want to skip this one. That said, this book is beautiful and painful and I'm not at all sorry I read it. At its core, this is a story of love. Unflinching, slightly naive, gut-wrenching love, sacrifice, and what we do to protect those we love most. There is tragedy, but there is hope, too. A really powerful read, any way you slice it.

***

So, what have you read lately?

4 comments:

{ Cholisose } at: March 11, 2011 at 4:28 PM said...

I read Psycho recently, which was rather enjoyable. This was the book that led to the movie, and I think the novel was the more horror-inspiring of the two.

I think I might read Name of the Wind yet, since some friends have been suggesting it to me.

- Nicholas

{ Brad Jaeger } at: March 11, 2011 at 5:58 PM said...

I'm midway through Louise Welsh's Naming the Bones, which is literary thriller, par excellence.

{ Amie McCracken } at: March 12, 2011 at 3:03 AM said...

I've been plowing through how to write books...old stuff like Mark Twain and Joseph Devlin. Also some fairy tales. But you have me adding Tender Morsels to my to-read list!

{ Andrew Leon } at: March 14, 2011 at 1:16 PM said...

Proven Guilty by Jim Butcher. The Dresden Files are a guilty pleasure of mine.

Spook Country by William Gibson. Better than Pattern Recognition, so far, but I have no final verdict on it, yet.

http://strangepegs.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment

Hi. You're so pretty. I like your hair. Let's be friends.

 

Copyright © 2010 maybe genius