in which my cat is cute.

| Wednesday, April 6, 2011
No writing-related post today. The last 2-3 weeks have featured a lot of ups and downs for me. My older cat, Mystery, was recently diagnosed with a vaccine-associated sarcoma (tumor) in her leg. Just under a week ago, she had surgery to remove the tumor. She's doing well in her recovery now, but unfortunately it's very likely she'll have to go back in for a more drastic procedure -- an amputation of her leg. So, yeah, a lot of hand-wringing and emotional stress has been taking up residence in my apartment in the last week or so. But it's okay. Her prognosis is good. The vet assures me she'll pull through with flying colors and that I'll go through more worry and trauma than she will. FUN.

Anyway, I'll take this opportunity to dust off my soapbox.

*dusts off soapbox*

Cat owners: make sure you check out your kitties' vaccination and injection sites on a regular basis. Vaccine-associated sarcomas are rare, but they do happen, and catching it early and informing your vet immediately will greatly improve your cat's prognosis. They usually appear as a small, hard lump on a leg or between the shoulders (the most common areas for injections). They're very aggressive and will often grow quickly. If you ever find a lump that doesn't go away after a month, gets larger rather than smaller, or is bigger than 2 centimeters (about 1 inch) in size, take them in for a check-up immediately. Better safe than sorry.

For more information, read this: Vaccine-Associated Sarcomas

I'm not trying to scare anyone, and I am absolutely not advocating refusing to vaccinate your pets. The diseases prevented by vaccines are far more common than vaccine-associated sarcomas and are actually required by law in some areas. Continue to vaccinate your pets. I'd just like to spread awareness about this condition because I had no idea it existed before I found the lump on Mystery's leg.

*steps off soapbox*

On a lighter note, here's a cute video of Mystery. She was getting neck scratches and couldn't lick me, so she licked her Cone of Shame instead. Enjoy.




6 comments:

{ aspiring_x } at: April 6, 2011 at 7:09 AM said...

oh poor baby!!!! give her an extra scritch from me!!!

{ Matthew MacNish } at: April 6, 2011 at 8:04 AM said...

Whoa! I love your new layout Steph! That photo at the top is especially awesome.

{ Magan } at: April 6, 2011 at 9:09 AM said...

I agree with Matt I like the new banner and think you should make mine.

But in other news, sorry about your kitty. If it makes you feel any better one of my friends had a cat that lived FOREVER with only three legs. Her name was tripod.

{ February Grace } at: April 6, 2011 at 4:13 PM said...

Oh my. I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles (my cat had a lump last year and I was panic stricken as it'd happened twice before) there is a certain kind of terror that goes with seeing our babies in a situation like that. I am glad to hear the prognosis is good though and I hope kitty will adjust quickly to the change. Thinking of you...

~bru

{ ellie } at: April 7, 2011 at 11:09 AM said...

Thanks so much for sharing this information. I do appreciate it.

{ Old Kitty } at: April 8, 2011 at 7:12 AM said...

Oh Stephanie Sinkhorn!! Mystery is adorable!! What a sweetie!!! I've never heard of this kind of really drastic reaction to vaccinations so thank you for the info!! Good grief! Poor Mystery and poor you!! I'm glad her prognosis is good though - yay for Mystery!! Take care
x

Post a Comment

Hi. You're so pretty. I like your hair. Let's be friends.

 

Copyright © 2010 maybe genius