Things I Wish I'd Known as a Teenager
1) Anyone who tells you that you'll "grow out" of zits is a LYING LIAR WHO LIES.
2) The guy in books and television shows who's kind of a jerk (or really a jerk) but secretly reads Hemingway and has a gentle heart that he's trying to hide with layers of jerkiness? He's like a unicorn: not real. In real life, the guys that act like huge jerks are usually huge jerks.
3) In the same vein, not every girl is a backstabbing evil temptress who only wants to make you miserable and steal your crush. A lot of them are more like you than you realize. BUT: as with the dudes, jerks do exist. Avoid as necessary.
4) A person is not obligated to love you back, no matter how much you pine after them and cry into your pillow and swear you'll cherish and adore them always. In fact, it's kind of crappy of you to put that kind of pressure on them when they've already said no thank you.
5) If you want to go to Homecoming or Prom, go. With a friend if you can't find a date. If you hate the idea of dances, it's okay to stay home. Don't listen to the people that insist you're missing out. They're only ~*magical high school memories*~ if you want them to be. There are different memorable experiences to have.
6) Once in a while, do something scary and hard. Try out for cheerleading or the school musical. Do it even if you absolutely suck. Then do it again the next year, just for the hell of it.
7) People who claim there's only one "real" way to do high school properly don't remember what it was like to be there. Do it your own way. Your way IS the right way... for you.
8) Pick something for your senior quote that has nothing to do with Friendship or Inspiration or The Places You'll Go. Never go for the expected unless you find meaning in it.
9) Sometimes best friends break up and move on. And it sucks. It really, really sucks. It's fine to be hurt and pissed. It's also fine to let go.
10) Adults still don't know what the hell they're doing a lot of the time. They just have more practice at life than you do.
What do you wish you'd known as a teen?