things I wish I'd known as a teenager.

| Friday, April 8, 2011
Today's Tune: Brand New Day

Things I Wish I'd Known as a Teenager


1) Anyone who tells you that you'll "grow out" of zits is a LYING LIAR WHO LIES.

2) The guy in books and television shows who's kind of a jerk (or really a jerk) but secretly reads Hemingway and has a gentle heart that he's trying to hide with layers of jerkiness? He's like a unicorn: not real. In real life, the guys that act like huge jerks are usually huge jerks.

3) In the same vein, not every girl is a backstabbing evil temptress who only wants to make you miserable and steal your crush. A lot of them are more like you than you realize. BUT: as with the dudes, jerks do exist. Avoid as necessary.

4) A person is not obligated to love you back, no matter how much you pine after them and cry into your pillow and swear you'll cherish and adore them always. In fact, it's kind of crappy of you to put that kind of pressure on them when they've already said no thank you.

5) If you want to go to Homecoming or Prom, go. With a friend if you can't find a date. If you hate the idea of dances, it's okay to stay home. Don't listen to the people that insist you're missing out. They're only ~*magical high school memories*~ if you want them to be. There are different memorable experiences to have.

6) Once in a while, do something scary and hard. Try out for cheerleading or the school musical. Do it even if you absolutely suck. Then do it again the next year, just for the hell of it.

7) People who claim there's only one "real" way to do high school properly don't remember what it was like to be there. Do it your own way. Your way IS the right way... for you.

8) Pick something for your senior quote that has nothing to do with Friendship or Inspiration or The Places You'll Go. Never go for the expected unless you find meaning in it.

9) Sometimes best friends break up and move on. And it sucks. It really, really sucks. It's fine to be hurt and pissed. It's also fine to let go.

10) Adults still don't know what the hell they're doing a lot of the time. They just have more practice at life than you do.


What do you wish you'd known as a teen?

8 comments:

{ Magan } at: April 8, 2011 at 7:13 AM said...

Okay...I absoultey LOVE the first and second one...except unicorns do exist. THEY DO. I think my favorite think that my dad told me was, "High school really isn't the best years of your life...and if it is then you really need to get a better life."

{ Old Kitty } at: April 8, 2011 at 7:14 AM said...

That I didn;t have to be in such a mad rush to do things before I was 21! LOL!!

Oh the thing about the zits is so true - you never ever ever EVER grow out of them. EVER!!!!
:-)

Take care
x

{ Matthew MacNish } at: April 8, 2011 at 7:28 AM said...

I wish I would have known that the people in high school for whom everything was cool ... that would be the best time of their lives. For those of us who suffered ... life gets better. Way better.

{ Andrew Leon } at: April 8, 2011 at 11:55 AM said...

Hmm... That geeks would one day be "in." No one would have believed that back in the 80s, though.

Anonymous at: April 8, 2011 at 2:15 PM said...

Regarding #1, you certainly never grow completely out of zits, but when I look at pictures of myself in high school and college--yikes. For me it was not so much a "growing out of" as a learning about my skin and how to treat it (although the settling down of high school hormones DOES help).

I totally agree with #10, though. I said something to my mom about how "you never told me that there isn't an 'adult' moment where you suddenly know what you're doing!" and she said "you didn't ask!" We decided that you know you're an adult, when you know to ask that question ;)

{ Liz P } at: April 8, 2011 at 5:56 PM said...

All great points! I had to laugh at #1. It's sad but so true...

{ E.J. Wesley } at: April 9, 2011 at 1:29 PM said...

I'm still laughing at #2! :-) And #7 might be the truest statement ever written, and it applies to most things, not just high school.

EJ

{ Whirlochre } at: April 11, 2011 at 4:25 AM said...

I wish I could have seen through all the "supposed-to-be-ness" — all the wisdom cast down and the hormones splurged up — and hoist myself more diligently on the petard of my own naievety.

Plus — not trying to blitz my zits with a blowtorch would have helped.

Post a Comment

Hi. You're so pretty. I like your hair. Let's be friends.

 

Copyright © 2010 maybe genius