book review: Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

| Wednesday, May 4, 2011
Today's Tune: High School Highway

I don't tend to do many book reviews, but when I read something that's really well-crafted and that I feel is a great example of what YA is capable of, I like to gush about it.

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver is, for better or worse, a wonderful addition to the Young Adult section. It's not perfect, (few books ever are), but it does many things, and it does them well.

Sam, the protagonist of this novel, dies in the opening. She then spends seven days reliving her last day over and over, and the character growth she experiences in one week is pretty astounding. Sam is a popular girl -- one of the four senior girls who rule her school -- and she's, as another character puts it, a bitch. She's not a nice person.

But she is human. Believable. Real. And in just one week, she goes from being a pretty unsympathetic, Bratty McBrattyBrat character to one the reader can really root for and get behind. This is a difficult balance to maintain, especially as a new author, but Oliver does it incredibly well. Read and take notes on how to make a flawed anti-hero of a character into someone your audience can get behind.

The story itself is balanced very well. It's hard to write the same day over and over again without it becoming repetitive and boring, but Oliver (mostly) manages. There are a few scenes that drag a little, but overall the pacing of this story is superb. The blend of contemporary with a hint of the paranormal is well-balanced enough to make this interesting and different than your typical Mean Girl Learns the Error of Her Ways story, but not edging into This is Too Weird territory.

Other characters are handled with the same care as the protagonist. I'm having trouble thinking of a character that came off as flat to me. Each character I came across had a background, a personality, a motivation. I felt a little bit overloaded with names at the beginning, but I eventually hit the stride of the novel and could remember who was who. Difficult themes like death and suicide are treated well here. I especially appreciated the treatment of suicide, which didn't allow for an easy solution. There is no "quick fix" for a suicidal person. You can't just tell them not to do it or change one thing about their day to make everything okay. It's so much deeper than that.

Overall, Before I Fall is an example of a good teenage voice, sharp prose, great pacing, believable character growth, and just the right touch of speculative and dark. I recommend it as an excellent example of YA genre fiction. If you are the sort of person who worries about content, this book contains swearing, sexuality, and drug/alcohol references and use. And, of course, teenage death.

4 comments:

{ Old Kitty } at: May 4, 2011 at 2:24 PM said...

Bratty McBratty Brat. Sorry that just made me laugh out loud for some mad reason!

My YA reading is beyond pitiful and so this may just kickstart my foray into YA lit! Thank you for this thoughtful and honest review! Take care
x

{ Nel } at: May 4, 2011 at 3:42 PM said...

Great! I thoroughly enjoyed your post. Congratulations for your work.Thanks for sharing!
http://nelsonsouzza.blogspot.com

{ Brenda Drake } at: May 4, 2011 at 8:37 PM said...

Wow, sounds like an awesome book. I'll definitely check it out. It's a sort of Groundhog Day - love the premise! :D

{ Micaella Lopez } at: May 4, 2015 at 10:29 PM said...

I haven't read this one, but it seems like a lot of people like it a lot. I might have to see what it's all about at some point!

Mica
Customer recommendations for Seattle SEO LHI

Post a Comment

Hi. You're so pretty. I like your hair. Let's be friends.

 

Copyright © 2010 maybe genius