a status update: musing on revisions

| Monday, July 18, 2011
Today's Tune: That Home

I'm waist deep in edits right now. Which is very cool and exciting for me! I'm finding I enjoy revising a lot more than drafting. It seems once I get the story out and into a form I reasonably like, I feel a lot more stable and motivated to make it shiny and fix all the bugs. It's a great feeling.

Surprising no one, I'm also finding the drafting and editing process to be very personal. Over the years, I've read all sorts of tips for writing and revising. In the end, none of it mattered. The only thing that matters is what works for me. It's kind of cool to do something where you always feel like you're learning something new about yourself while doing it.

Critique partners are also proving to be an interesting experience. I consider myself a pretty savvy reader/writer, and even so, it's still amazing what you miss in your own work. BLIND SPOTS, I HAVE THEM. I'm incredibly glad to have found some CPs who really know their stuff, and who aren't afraid to tell me when something isn't working or could be stronger.

I feel like The Tick-Tock Hearts is finally getting there. Not quite yet, but soon. Very soon. It fills me with a weird combination of excitement and panic.

How's everyone else doing? What writing/revising techniques have you found work best for you?

4 comments:

{ Old Kitty } at: July 18, 2011 at 9:45 AM said...

Aha!!! that's the title of your novel!! Lovely!!! Onwards and upwards for you - keep at it!! I love the tactic of revise and then put it drawer for three months and then take out again and revise.. repeat as and when necessary! LOL!! Take care
x

{ GKJeyasingham } at: July 18, 2011 at 4:20 PM said...

I also find editing more enjoyable than writing the first draft. It's like taking a pile of manure and moulding it into a diamond. Which doesn't make sense, but you get the idea.

{ Kurt Hartwig } at: July 18, 2011 at 7:09 PM said...

I just gutted 75 pages, re-organized them as part of an interrogation in a small scene that used to happen around page 50, and cut 27 pages altogether. It feels like better storytelling, and having run it through two polishes, I've sent it out to a reader to see if it actually does make any sense at all. That's what I did.

{ Jen } at: July 18, 2011 at 10:28 PM said...

Editing always feels much more productive - like I've laid out the thing, and not I can start to tear it apart and rebuild it. If I was a better plotter I probably wouldn't have this issue, but it seems to work for me so far!

Post a Comment

Hi. You're so pretty. I like your hair. Let's be friends.

 

Copyright © 2010 maybe genius