Interview @ Perfecting the Craft

| Friday, September 23, 2011
Today's Tune: Friday (as covered by Stephen Colbert and The Roots)

This will be a fast entry today.

First: I've been interviewed over at Michelle Merril's blog! Click on through the link to read my ramblings about writing and reading if you'd like.

Second: I'm thinking about starting two new features on the blog. First is a "What's The Appeal?" series where I dissect the appeal of well-known YA characters (Bella Swan, Edward Cullen, Katniss Everdeen, Miles "Pudge" Halters, etc.). So I'll ask you to post your favorites in comments! Who would you like to see me dissect? The goal is to figure out what attracts readers to certain characters.

The other series I want to start is something along the lines of a Query Doctor. I'm one of those weirdos who actually enjoys writing queries and boiling down plots to their central conflict, and I'm pretty good at it. So, would anyone be remotely interested in this? If so, I can post my email and have you sent me queries to pick apart and rebuild :)

Happy Friday, everyone. Have an awesome weekend!

10 comments:

{ Michelle Merrill } at: September 23, 2011 at 10:21 AM said...

Thanks for the shout out Steph.

And I'd love to see Bella Swan and Katniss picked apart!

And I may have a query you can pick apart if you want :)

{ J } at: September 23, 2011 at 11:38 AM said...

Both of these features would be awesome! I would be curious to read the breakdown on Bella, since I don't find her appealling at all but tons of other people do. Harry Potter might be a good one too. :)

{ prerna pickett } at: September 23, 2011 at 12:04 PM said...

I would love for someone to look over my query! Your other idea sounds interesting too. I'm always curious to see what other people think if more famous fictional characters.

{ Kurt Hartwig } at: September 23, 2011 at 12:16 PM said...

I think the query is a sure thing. Always good to get feedback. Any chance you'd also look at synopses? That seems to be the other bugaboo.

I don't have either one just yet, but looking down the pike...

{ Theresa Milstein } at: September 23, 2011 at 2:26 PM said...

I like the idea of dissecting characters. Better than dissecting frogs.

I'll click your link!

{ Seabrooke } at: September 23, 2011 at 6:47 PM said...

These sound like great ideas - I'll look forward to seeing what you do with them! I might have a query to submit, too, in a bit.

Characters I'd be interested in seeing dissected: Jace Wayland from the Mortal Instruments series; Patch from Hush, Hush; Amy and/or Elder from Across the Universe. All very popular books, all characters that I can't quite see the appeal of and would be interested to know what it is about them that grabbed readers.

{ kirstenlopresti } at: September 24, 2011 at 12:08 PM said...

I think dissecting characters is a great idea for a blog post. I'd definitely be interested in reading it.

{ lindy } at: September 25, 2011 at 3:51 PM said...

Oh, yes please! I look forward to both of these additions. Maybe I'll get brave and send you a query. Maybe :P

{ vic caswell (aspiring-x) } at: September 26, 2011 at 5:11 AM said...

oooh! great ideas, maybe!
hmmmm...
how about kaye in holly black's TITHE? she didn't bother me too much, but she pissed my hubby off to no end. :) i wonder why that would be. or cassell in holly black's WHITE CAT? he pissed me off. or any of Holly Black's mc's? (except Val, Val is obviously awesome- that's why people love her). Black can write a cranky yet sympathetic MC better than just about anyone i've read!

{ aliya seen } at: May 13, 2017 at 2:05 AM said...

Our free punctuation checker tool is something very useful for every writer to know. In the process you will be able to make good flow in your sentences as well as to highlight or to downplay a specific portion of your sentence.

Post a Comment

Hi. You're so pretty. I like your hair. Let's be friends.

 

Copyright © 2010 maybe genius