Second Campaigner Challenge: The Imago Tree

| Sunday, September 25, 2011
Today's Tune: Fields of Gold (cover)

Hello, writer pals. Today I have a little bit of flash... something. This is my entry for the Second Campaigner Challege for Rachael Harrie's Platform Building Campaign. If you like it, please go here and follow the link in that entry to find me on the Linky List and vote for me (I'm #107 [edit: or possibly #106? It looks like the numbers shifted. Look for "maybe genius: The Imago Tree."]). The winners are determined by your votes, so make sure you read a bunch and vote for the ones you like best. Thank you!

The Challenge is:
 

Write a blog post in 200 words or less, excluding the title. It can be in any format, whether flash fiction, non-fiction, humorous blog musings, poem, etc. The blog post should:

-- include the word "imago" in the title
-- include the following 4 random words: "miasma," "lacuna," "oscitate," "synchronicity,"
 

If you want to give yourself an added challenge (optional and included in the word count), make reference to a mirror in your post.

For those who want an even greater challenge (optional), make your post 200 words EXACTLY!


I forewent the "extra challenges" this time because I just liked this piece better. Enjoy :)

The Imago Tree

Sometimes, during the days of late summer when the sun is high, the fig tree in the backyard releases a special kind of miasma. It creeps across the air, noxious and oversweet, making my nose wrinkle. Comforting and repulsive. Fleshy fruit gone rotten.

The junebugs spread their iridescent bodies over the drooping figs. Fill the lacuna of the trunk. Cling to the leaves. Oscitate lazily with clicking mouths, unwilling to let go of the season. I know how they feel.

Every time I come back, the grass is a little more yellow, the wall a little more broken. The netting of the basketball hoop hangs in ragged shreds. Nonetheless, the dog next door still barks and the hummingbirds still weave between the bougainvillea. The buzz of the beetles and howl of the dog and hum of the birds chase each other around my head in a strange synchronicity. I’m still here.

I’m still home.

34 comments:

{ Shannon Lawrence } at: September 26, 2011 at 12:02 AM said...

You know, for such unpleasant words, this piece was pleasant. It really touches the senses. Nice!

Mine is #106: http://thewarriormuse.blogspot.com/2011/09/platform-building-campaign-2nd.html

{ Old Kitty } at: September 26, 2011 at 3:40 AM said...

Lovely - full of gorgeous imageries and a really dreamy atmosphere too!! Yay!! Take care
x

{ Maeve Frazier } at: September 26, 2011 at 4:13 AM said...

Beautiful piece. Great way of taking unusual words and turning them into something lovely.

{ Lori M. Lee } at: September 26, 2011 at 7:14 AM said...

Beautiful writing :D

{ K.T. Hanna } at: September 26, 2011 at 7:19 AM said...

This is really beautiful, poignant in a way. Love the usage of the challenge words. Well done :D

{ vic caswell (aspiring-x) } at: September 26, 2011 at 7:22 AM said...

maybe, i have such mad love for all your creative writing. seriously. have you EVER written something that was bad?!?!? ever!?!?! :)

{ Damyanti } at: September 26, 2011 at 7:31 AM said...

Oscitate lazily with clicking mouths, unwilling to let go of the season. I know how they feel.

That line kind of sums up the laid-back gorgeousness of your piece.Well done!
-----
Join me at the Rule of Three Writers' Blogfest!

{ Ruth Hartman Berge } at: September 26, 2011 at 8:25 AM said...

I really enjoyed that. Beautiful scene.

{ Joanna } at: September 26, 2011 at 8:59 AM said...

Very sensorial and gentle. Loved this piece. Off to vote!

{ wordyliving } at: September 26, 2011 at 8:59 AM said...

I loved this. Such a play with the senses and the middle paragraph... Just perfect. The words just dance in my ears with Eva Cassidy's voice. Well done!
- andrea (#108)

{ kirstenlopresti } at: September 26, 2011 at 10:14 AM said...

Very nice. You managed to use the words very seamlessly. Good job!

{ J } at: September 26, 2011 at 11:17 AM said...

I loved the imagery in your piece. You managed to incorporate the challenge words beautifully. :) Great job!

{ F.E. Sewell } at: September 26, 2011 at 11:48 AM said...

"unwilling to let go of the season"

Beautiful imagery here! Very well done!

{ Steph Sinkhorn } at: September 26, 2011 at 12:45 PM said...

Thanks so much for the nice comments, all! They're very much appreciated. So glad you enjoyed it <3

{ Steph Sinkhorn } at: September 26, 2011 at 12:51 PM said...

And vic - I can absolutely guarantee that I have, at one time or another, written something terrible. Haha ;)

{ Sheri L. Swift } at: September 26, 2011 at 2:40 PM said...

Very nice description and emotion! ; )

{ Sonia Lal } at: September 26, 2011 at 3:04 PM said...

Laid back, relaxed, and I can picture it so clearly.

{ Jen } at: September 26, 2011 at 4:32 PM said...

Fantastic job, Steph! You took those challenge words and camouflaged them beautifully. I love the description of the smell of the fig tree as both comforting and repulsive.

{ Katy } at: September 26, 2011 at 7:57 PM said...

"The junebugs spread their iridescent bodies over the drooping figs."

Gorgeous. You really handled this challenge... I'm intrigued and incredibly impressed!

{ Steph Sinkhorn } at: September 26, 2011 at 8:31 PM said...

Thank you for the kind words, ladies! I'm going to try to make it back around to everyone else's posts soon :)

{ Jessica Love } at: September 26, 2011 at 10:30 PM said...

Wow, I love it! Great job!

{ Scott Stillwell } at: September 27, 2011 at 6:52 AM said...

I love the way you took this awkward collection of words and produced something so heartwarming. The hardest part of this challenge was not tripping over the point words, and you did it perfectly. Nice job!

{ David Powers King } at: September 27, 2011 at 10:03 AM said...

I could imagine this setting crystal clear. Loved your imagery and the honest emotion that comes with returning to a fond, childhood place.

Great job, Steph! :)

{ Lindsay N. Currie } at: September 27, 2011 at 11:52 AM said...

Lovely Steph!

{ Michelle Merrill } at: September 27, 2011 at 8:25 PM said...

That's cool! I love your descriptions :)

{ Tara Tyler } at: September 28, 2011 at 4:00 AM said...

nice imagery. is she dead or just visiting? could be the opening to a good story either way =)

{ Christine Danek } at: September 28, 2011 at 4:09 PM said...

This is wonderful. Great imagery. I really enjoyed this.
I agree with Tara, could be a great opening to a fantastic story.

I gave you a few awards on my blog.

{ Angela Orlowski-Peart } at: September 28, 2011 at 4:45 PM said...

Very atmospheric and dreamy. I love how naturally you incorporated all the required words. Great job - you got my vote!

I'm # 157.

{ Steph Sinkhorn } at: September 28, 2011 at 5:56 PM said...

Thank you very much, everyone. I'm really enjoying reading your reactions to this piece!

{ Daniel R. Marvello } at: September 29, 2011 at 10:49 AM said...

Very nice. Great use of the challenge words. Thanks for taking the time to craft such a sensory piece. I feel all floaty now.

{ Ruth Josse } at: September 30, 2011 at 7:51 AM said...

Wow! Beautiful work, Steph! I am so impressed :)

{ raelynbarclay } at: September 30, 2011 at 1:54 PM said...

Beautiful! I love your use of those challenge words.

{ Christine Rains } at: September 30, 2011 at 6:48 PM said...

Beautiful imagery. Great use of the words. Well done!

{ Karen deBlieck } at: October 10, 2011 at 4:48 PM said...

Loved your piece--your description was so tangible. Great job! BTW, I once had garlic popcorn and it was the best thing ever. If you have time drop by my blog to let me know how to make it.:)

#189

Post a Comment

Hi. You're so pretty. I like your hair. Let's be friends.

 

Copyright © 2010 maybe genius