Flash Fiction Figment Feature

| Wednesday, October 12, 2011
Today's Tune: Under The Sea (cover)

That title's a new tongue twister in the making.

I got a very cool email from Figment Fiction over the weekend: my flash piece, Language Barriers, was selected to be a featured piece this week. Awesome! If you haven't read it, you should check it out. You should also join Figment because it's a super cool site.

Kim Culbertson, author of Instructions for a Broken Heart, had this to say about my story: "This has a fabulous first line and this writer really knows her genre. I laughed out loud when the main character tries to explain she's a 'virgin' and he takes her for a 'platonic' coffee. Wonderful, playful voice in this one."

Right on. It's always nice to hear that someone in the industry enjoyed your work :)

I'd also like to remind everyone that the Query Doctor is still open, so if you have a query you'd like to bring in for a check-up, please do! You should all have a look at Perna's rewrite of her query from last time.

I feel kind of cheesy every time I use the pseudo-medical jargon, but GUESS WHAT I DON'T CARE I AM A DORK DEAL WITH IT.

NANOWRIMO SEGUE

So, who's doing it this year? I think I'm going to give it another shot. I need to really buckle down on a new project to distract myself from the madness that is querying, and NaNoWriMo is definitely a fine distraction with the added bonus of whipping out a crappy fast draft. How about you?

In fact, how is your writing life going in general, writer pals? What news? Tell me I'M ALL EARS!



9 comments:

{ Stephanie M. Lorée } at: October 12, 2011 at 5:17 AM said...

I'll be doing NaNo again this year. My username is Mesmerix if you want to buddy me. :)

{ kirstenlopresti } at: October 12, 2011 at 6:30 AM said...

Congratulations on your flash fiction piece! I'm trying to make up my mind about NaNo. November is busy with family coming in.

{ Old Kitty } at: October 12, 2011 at 11:35 AM said...

I remember your story - I started to read it and I thought - I've read this before!! Yay!!!!

Well I loved it first time round and it's still gorgeous this time round!

Well done you! Take care
x

{ Kurt Hartwig } at: October 12, 2011 at 1:39 PM said...

Slogging. Might be out of the editing woods for a moment.

Congrats on Figment! off to read it now.

{ Carol Riggs } at: October 12, 2011 at 1:57 PM said...

Haha, yes, do the NaNo distraction. Might help! I'm having a relaxing blogging day, after sending off Round 2 of revisions to my agent. That was intense (changing from third person to first)!!

{ anonymeet } at: October 13, 2011 at 6:24 AM said...

I think I'm going to do a modified version. NaNoCoMo. National Novel Completion Month. I'm going to try to complete a first draft of my 1/4 done current WiP.

Does that count?

{ Claudie A. } at: October 13, 2011 at 11:20 AM said...

I'm doing NaNo. I'm not just doing it, I'm organising for my region. :D Welcome the distraction! Open your mind to the crappy draft. :)

{ TL Conway } at: October 13, 2011 at 11:46 AM said...

I'm absolutely doing NaNo again--I feel like it's the only time I can write for hours and not feel guilty! Feel free to look me up, my name is _trixie_.

{ Brooke R. Busse } at: October 14, 2011 at 8:15 PM said...

-raises hand- I'm doing it. My username is brooke_the_writer. -sigh- NaNo is also the reason I haven't emailed you about critiques lately. I'm hoping to get back to that in December.

Congrats on being a Figment Fiction Featured!

Post a Comment

Hi. You're so pretty. I like your hair. Let's be friends.

 

Copyright © 2010 maybe genius