My Writer's Toolkit.

| Monday, November 21, 2011
Today's Tune: Rock and Roll

Just an FYI: I will be taking the next week or so off for the holiday (US Thanksgiving). I'll be traveling and visiting with family. Posts will most likely resume Wednesday November 30th.

So, I thought it might be nice to share my "writer's toolkit" today. What I mean by that is basically that these are the websites, programs, books, and items that I personally use and have found helpful in my writing life. Everyone has their own "toolkit" full of the elements that are most effective for them, but hopefully you can find something useful in here.

Books:

On Writing by Stephen King
Writing the Breakout Novel Workbook by Donald Maass
Plot & Structure by James Scott Bell
Writing Great Books for Young Adults by Regina Brooks

Programs:

Scrivener
yWriter

(These two programs are very similar. Try both to see which you prefer. yWriter is free. Scrivener has a free trial, but you must pay for the full version.)

Items:

Notebooks. I carry a small one with me just about everywhere for quick ideas.
Note cards. Helpful for visual plotting (tack 'em to the wall).
Multi-colored pens. Good for editing.
Printer. Reading printed pages is different than editing on-screen.
Laptop or digital tablet, if you can afford one, for writing on the go.

Smartphone/Tablet Apps:

Evernote. For quick notes, brainstorming, and adding pictures to notes. So handy.
Kindle or other ebook app. All great writers read, right?
Wikipanion. Wikipedia on the go.
WriMuse. A writing prompt app to get your juices flowing.
Whack Pack. Another creative prompt/brainstorming app.
Dictionary. You need one. Find an app you like.
Translator. They're not perfect, but handy for quick 'n dirty translations.

Websites:

Publisher's Marketplace
Writer Beware
Preditors and Editors
Duotrope Digest
Society of Children's Book Writers & Illustrators
Absolute Write
Query Tracker
Agent Query
Ypulse
Figment Fiction
Literary Rambles
Kidlit
Nathan Bransford
TV Tropes
WriteOnCon


Those are the biggies. There are TONS of quality writing and publishing blogs out there, and I highly encourage you to explore and find the ones that speak to you most. THE INTERNET IS HUGE.

Okay. I will check you cats later. If you're celebrating this weekend, have a wonderful holiday!


7 comments:

{ Old Kitty } at: November 21, 2011 at 6:11 AM said...

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!

Ok - I must go and create my own writerly toolkit too! Starting with stationery!! SHOPPING!!! Yay! Take care
x

{ Amanda Olivieri } at: November 21, 2011 at 10:01 AM said...

I've always wanted to try Scrivener! I didn't know they had a free trial...hmmm...I think I'll look into that. Happy Thanksgiving!

{ Emy Shin } at: November 21, 2011 at 5:46 PM said...

I remember reading On Writing ages ago, but need to refresh my memory of it.

Happy Thanksgiving!

{ catwoods } at: November 22, 2011 at 9:43 AM said...

Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for sharing your toolkit. It appears as if mine is woefully understocked in comparison!

Hugs~

{ Andrew } at: November 22, 2011 at 3:48 PM said...

Totally unrelated: sending you some bloggy thanks in the post I'm preparing.

{ aliya seen } at: May 17, 2017 at 8:08 AM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
{ aliya seen } at: May 23, 2017 at 1:31 AM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment

Hi. You're so pretty. I like your hair. Let's be friends.

 

Copyright © 2010 maybe genius