From the streets of Roma.

| Monday, March 5, 2012
Today's Tune: Mentre tutto scorre

Hey, I'm back! Yay! So, I was in Rome last week. Italy, that is. Not like, Rome, Illinois. It was kind of a Surprise!Trip for Fiance's work. It was the kind of Surprise!Trip I could get behind, to be honest.

I've been out of the country before, but primarily to tropical destinations. I did a European cruise once, and while it was super fun and the boat was amazing, I really didn't get to see as much of actual European soil as I would have liked. Therefore, this trip was incredible for me.

Thing #1 I learned: Italian (and perhaps all European) women clearly have this inbred skill for walking on cobblestone streets in high-heeled shoes. Like, stiletto heels. It was unfathomable to me. I tried to walk to dinner one night in heeled boots and I swear I hit every crack between the stones. Also, they do this thing where they smoke out of the side of their mouth so they don't muss their lipstick. Also-also, they were all extremely fashionable.

Beautiful Roman days.
 Thing #2 I learned: I could not possibly make enough money in my entire lifetime to be able to afford all of the stunning clothes and shoes I spotted.

Look at these things. HOW ARE THEY EVEN REAL.

Thing #3 I learned: Walking in a place where people have walked for thousands of years and still being able to see evidence of their existence in the form of the buildings they frequented is pretty incredible. It makes you feel miniscule and like a giant at the same time. I never got to see this. I survived to see this.

When they invent Time Travel Vacations, I'm going.
Thing #4 I learned: Italians know how to use sugar to make things that make you want to die and then come back so you can eat more and die again. Honey gelato and choco-cream gnocchi, is all I'm saying.

Hanging out in Piazza Navona eating breakfast, no big deal.

Thing #5 I learned: There's nothing quite like wandering lots of little side streets and back alleys and then just stumbling upon an 1800-year-old building.

I love the kid in the foreground looking at me like "Srsly lady."
Thing #6 I learned: The works of art that come from human hands will never stop stirring my heart with pride and awe.

From the Bridge of Angels.
I hope you all had a wonderful week while I was away. Any exciting news?


11 comments:

{ vic caswell (aspiring-x) } at: March 5, 2012 at 5:13 AM said...

whoa! such beautiful pictures!
i'm so happy for you!

{ Anita Saxena } at: March 5, 2012 at 5:23 AM said...

What a wonderful trip! I've been to Venice, but never Rome. It's hard to fathom the age of architectural feats like the Colliseum. Thanks for sharing the photos!

{ Emy Shin } at: March 5, 2012 at 7:45 AM said...

Those are such gorgeous pics! Thanks for sharing them. I've always wanted to visit Europe -- Rome in particular. I hope to, one day. :)

{ Old Kitty } at: March 5, 2012 at 10:13 AM said...

Oh wow! Awww wow!! Looks like you had a most wonderful time - lovely candid pics! Yay! Welcome back! Take care
x

{ Shelley Sly } at: March 5, 2012 at 1:19 PM said...

Loved your pictures! I want a Time Travel Vacation someday too.

{ Adrianne Russell } at: March 5, 2012 at 4:53 PM said...

What an awesome surprise!

{ Tara Dairman } at: March 5, 2012 at 10:17 PM said...

Oh, gosh, what a wonderful place to spend a week! I hope you ate gelato every day! =)

{ Jessica Love } at: March 5, 2012 at 10:29 PM said...

Rome is one of my absolute favorite places. I'm glad you loved it, too!

{ laurengibaldi.com } at: March 6, 2012 at 10:48 AM said...

Beautiful pictures! What a fantastic trip. I went there on my honeymoon, and can definitely agree with your bullet points. Especially about Italian women and their crazy ability to walk on cobblestones daily. I mean, insane.

{ Steph Sinkhorn } at: March 7, 2012 at 7:33 AM said...

Thank you so much, all! Glad you enjoyed the pics. It was wonderful :)

{ We Heart YA } at: March 14, 2012 at 11:24 AM said...

We're a bit late, but we loved this post!

"Walking in a place where people have walked for thousands of years and still being able to see evidence of their existence in the form of the buildings they frequented is pretty incredible. It makes you feel miniscule and like a giant at the same time. I never got to see this. I survived to see this."

YES. THAT.

Post a Comment

Hi. You're so pretty. I like your hair. Let's be friends.

 

Copyright © 2010 maybe genius