The Stories Just for Me

| Monday, June 18, 2012
Today's Tune: Tha Mo Ghaol Air Aird A' Chuain

I write a lot about writing. I think a lot about writing. I write a lot... I write a lot.

As much as I love, live, breathe, and bleed words, sometimes I feel like I'm drowning in them. Well not so much the words themselves as the simultaneous promise and pressure of the words. It feels like I'm floating beneath the surface, holding my breath and waiting for the right moment to break.

Writing for yourself is a whole different world than writing with the goal of public consumption. They're both very personal, but one is safe and the other isn't. One is in your control, and the other is completely wild. In the wild, your hands aren't the only ones shaping the world. There are other hands, and hands guiding those hands, and even more hands that would grab and lift or tear and burn, for good reasons and bad reasons and no reason at all.

So it's important for me to come up for air, to gasp and look around and remember the stories I used to build just for myself. The way I used to sink into music and watch the colors swirling in my head. To dream and continue building upon that dream throughout the day. To experience things and feel the physical sensation of pressing it into my memory.


To watch the boats sailing across the bay and imagine what life must be like for the people living on those pinninsulas.


To find a reason not to be super grouchy when I have to get up at 6AM, especially when that reason is happy face balloons.


To wonder if this is modern art or just some creepy thing someone left for hikers to find because they thought it'd be funny.


To want to know the rest of this story.


And to imagine the adventures of Super Freesia, who saves the world by making everything smell super good.

Or, you know, just remembering that I can still be a writer even when I'm not thinking about writing 100% of the time.


4 comments:

{ Old Kitty } at: June 18, 2012 at 6:27 AM said...

I'm all for Super Freesia making the world super fragrant! Enjoy your day! Take care
x

{ Amanda Olivieri } at: June 18, 2012 at 8:14 AM said...

My normal day-to-day routine is pretty much consumed by thoughts of writing (while at the day job, natch) or actual writing. I recently went on vacation and while I still wrote, I did other things, too. And doing other things, experiencing other things, is so, so refreshing. I think NOT thinking about writing sometimes actually helps more than being constantly consumed in it. I want to try to bring that into my everyday life, too.

I like how you found stories in small, everyday things. Those pictures are awesome--especially that story on the rock!

{ Phire } at: June 18, 2012 at 7:35 PM said...

I drew you a Super Freesia because I liked the concept so much.

http://www.phirephoenix.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/super-freesia.png

{ We Heart YA } at: June 19, 2012 at 11:28 AM said...

We totally feel you on the word-overload. It's such a blessing and a curse at the same time.

Post a Comment

Hi. You're so pretty. I like your hair. Let's be friends.

 

Copyright © 2010 maybe genius