Some Links for Sexual Assault Awareness Month

| Friday, April 12, 2013

Today's Tune: Young Volcanos (I had a link to the video, but they redid it and it ended up being super inappropriate for this post, so I removed the link)

Ugh, you guys, I feel like this blog is getting seriously neglected! I'm sorry! I've been working on a new project, and between that and work, I've been pretty burnt out as far as coming up with new blog-ish type stuff. I'm hoping to get back to updating at least once a week.

In the meantime, you can catch me over on Tumblr a lot, which requires much less length and thought process to update (most of the time). I have a YA Tumblr and a personal one, which you probably already know if you follow me on le Twitter because I update almost daily.

Also, April is Sexual Assault Awareness and Prevention Month, which is kind of a big deal to me. So here are some links.

Here is a post I wrote two years ago about how rape is not a plot point.

Here's a post Maggie Stiefvater recently wrote in which she also discusses literary rape.

Laurie Halse Anderson partnered with RAINN this month to create the #Speak4RAINN campaign. You can give any amount. Every $10 will help a survivor through the national hotline, and if you donate $75, you'll get a signed copy of Speak.

With all of the hugely national press lately about some truly horrendous rape cases and the rape culture that encourages them, this is still such an important issue. Our society needs to be able to have a dialogue about sexual violence and consent without it devolving into unbearably heinous displays of patriarchy and rape culture. We need to empower and educate our youth, ALL of our youth, about the role they can play in destroying rape culture.

It starts with us. Let's make sure it ends with them.

(I'll aim for a substantial post next week. Happy Friday!)

1 comments:

{ JeffO } at: April 12, 2013 at 11:01 AM said...

What does it say that we're already halfway through April and I'm just now finding out that it's Sexual Assault Awareness and Prevention Month? Thanks for the links, and for making me aware of this.

Post a Comment

Hi. You're so pretty. I like your hair. Let's be friends.

 

Copyright © 2010 maybe genius